Tested PM and here are some observations

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2019-12-29 10:34:49

hi,

I'm a photographer retouching my own work using PS and Affinity Photo ( here is some free non commercial work I have shot this year https://www.instagram.com/shot.by.cs/?hl=de ). after playing with PM for some time i have to say that there are some really useful and unique features but also some annoying shortcomings which make it hard to incorporate it in my workflow but maybe I have only overlooked them. from my point of view nothing will replace PS in the near future so the ability to easy exchange files between apps is absolut necessary to my workflow. here are some of the problems I found testing PM.....

no RGB, cmyk or HSL readout ? really ?

no possibility to view 2 or more images at the same time ? this would be very useful especially for ML image matching because from what I have seen in my tests is that it is always possible to improve results with some further tweaking

no way to direct save .tiff or .psd files

no option to load a pixel selection from a path

zero plugin support

the possibility to save a selections as alpha channel's to .psd files

what I would also love to see in a future version too are

a perlin noise filter, it is so extrem usefu and adobe ignores it also a frequency separation tool.

christian

2019-12-29 15:30:25

I recognise everything you talk about! Earlier I hated Photoshop, but I now love it more than ever. I can trust Photoshop.! Pixelmator Pro has a LOT to do and concentrating om ML is not that good.

2020-01-02 13:53:36

by csp 2019-12-29 10:34:49 hi,

I'm a photographer retouching my own work using PS and Affinity Photo ( here is some free non commercial work I have shot this year https://www.instagram.com/shot.by.cs/?hl=de ). after playing with PM for some time i have to say that there are some really useful and unique features but also some annoying shortcomings which make it hard to incorporate it in my workflow but maybe I have only overlooked them. from my point of view nothing will replace PS in the near future so the ability to easy exchange files between apps is absolut necessary to my workflow. here are some of the problems I found testing PM.....

no RGB, cmyk or HSL readout ? really ?
Are we talking about in the Info bar? Or with an eyedropper tool? If so, as far as RGB is concerned, both are definitely coming. Hopefully in one of the next few updates.
no possibility to view 2 or more images at the same time ? this would be very useful especially for ML image matching because from what I have seen in my tests is that it is always possible to improve results with some further tweaking
This one's a little trickier as Pixelmator Pro is a layer-based image editor, not a photo editing app, where this feature is simpler to implement. But this has been requested before and we'll think about it.
no way to direct save .tiff or .psd files
You can directly save a TIFF file if you go to Pixelmator Pro > Preferences > General and turn off "Import JPEG, PNG, and TIFF files". PSDs will most likely always have to be exported because it's a closed-source format and no app other than PS can provide 100% support for those files. It's unfortunate but that's how it is.
no option to load a pixel selection from a path
Edit > Load Selection or Command-clicking the thumbnail of a layer in the Layers sidebar should do the trick.
zero plugin support
Can't make any promises about this — supporting plugins from other apps is always going to be next to impossible but maybe we can make it possible to create plugins for Pixelmator Pro. Though that would be very much a long-term plan.
the possibility to save a selections as alpha channel's to .psd files
That's quite a specific and specialized feature (which, for now, is something we're avoiding) but I've added it to the feature request list!
what I would also love to see in a future version too are

a perlin noise filter, it is so extrem usefu and adobe ignores it also a frequency separation tool.
christian

Noted, we'll see what we can do!