Invert Mouse Zoom Wheel option

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2019-06-22 14:04:17

Please :-)

2019-06-28 08:06:46

Yeah, the direction makes sense for the trackpad, but maybe not so for a mouse wheel... For now, we could probably offer only a Terminal command.

2019-06-28 13:43:20

:-(

This is a serious problem because it is different in every program. It is impossible to get used to, especially if 2 programs are used simultaneously. This is horror…

The terminal command is no solution to this. :(

Trackpad or wheel, same .. the point is to be able to turn around within the program, especially when the large majority is using the other way around

2019-07-06 07:41:34

+1
It is frustrating for me too. I hope this will be a solution soon.

2019-11-05 10:36:45

Please, just bought Pixelmator Pro, been a user of Pixelmator for years – and that app has normal scrolling. Can't use Pixelmator Pro as it stands right now.

2019-11-23 18:31:06

I too am very frustrated by the way scrolling works in Pro. I have been using the free version for quite some time and it worked exactly the opposite of Pro, ie. the way I expect it to act and the way everything else on the Mac acts.

In order to get scrolling to work the way I expect it to on Pro, I have to reverse the action in Mouse Preferences. Then, scrolling everywhere else on the Mac is reversed.

I have the original mouse for an iMac, which is basically a small moveable trackpad. So, to say this is the reason it is reversed is ridiculous.

Please go back to the way it works in the free Pixelmator!!!!!

2019-11-25 13:56:43

by Mark Conradt 2019-11-23 18:31:06 I too am very frustrated by the way scrolling works in Pro. I have been using the free version for quite some time and it worked exactly the opposite of Pro, ie. the way I expect it to act and the way everything else on the Mac acts.

In order to get scrolling to work the way I expect it to on Pro, I have to reverse the action in Mouse Preferences. Then, scrolling everywhere else on the Mac is reversed.

I have the original mouse for an iMac, which is basically a small moveable trackpad. So, to say this is the reason it is reversed is ridiculous.

Please go back to the way it works in the free Pixelmator!!!!!
Hey Mark, macOS has a Zoom feature in System Preferences > Accessibility > Zoom. If you turn on the "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom", the scrolling direction to zoom in and out should be the same — we took this to be the 'default' direction in macOS. It's unlikely we'll go back to the way it works in the original Pixelmator but we will at least add a way to change it in Pixelmator Pro. Thanks for the reminder about this!

2020-07-08 20:01:22

has this terminal flag since been added? I’ve just bought pixelmator pro and this is literally the only thing I’m unsatisfied with—surely it should not be that difficult for the zoom function to follow the scrolling direction as set in system preferences

2020-07-08 20:03:19

(it doesn’t make sense for my trackpad either because I cannot stand australian scrolling. it feels wrong to me and always has)

2020-07-09 11:54:14

Hey Lyra, this was indeed added and mentioned in the release notes, but in hindsight, I totally should've put it here too. My apologies! Here's the flag:

defaults write com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.x scrollToZoomDirectionInverted -bool true

2021-01-19 03:37:46

Just bought Pixelmator and this inverted zoom is driving me crazy. Provided terminal line doesn't work. I am running on M1 chip latest version of Big Sur 11.1 Honestly, this option should be in the settings, it is basic stuff. Also there should be an option to enable zoom with just scrolling wheel (without holding any key)

Hand tool on the middle mouse button would be also nice.

2021-01-19 13:16:37

The terminal command isn’t working anymore for me either. I’ve got used to how it works now but it’s still very annoying for the scrolling direction to be the opposite of everywhere else in macOS (since I’ve turned the supposedly “natural” aka counterintuitive scrolling off)

2021-01-19 13:58:41

Lyra, I found a solution :) But you need Logitech mouse Mx master 2s or 3. Or maybe even some lower versions of logitech mouses with "logi options app". Btw Mx master is really good mouse for work and effectivity. Logi options app is an desktop app just for the mouse, which allows you to reprogramm buttons and scroll wheels.

You can have diffrent settings for every single app.

In this case, all you need to do is just select pixelmator within the logi app and invert mouse scroll direction. I also set "zoom" for the thumb wheel so I don't need to hold any key to zoom. I also changed click with scroll wheel to "H" (hand tool) and 2 side buttons to "actual size" and "fit to screen" shortcuts. Now it's perfect!

2021-01-19 14:45:51

Oh, I have an MX Master 2S so that’s perfect! I’ll look into it. Thank you!

(I still believe this should be an easy thing to change in the app preferences)

2021-04-19 00:59:34

This is literally backwards of every other app, *including* Pixelmator Classic. Please fix it. It needs to be exposed in the settings, not set on CLI for people who stumble on this specific forum post. Or, you know, swap the default behavior to match reality instead of your Apple "natural direction" imaginary world.

2021-05-05 06:55:48

by Andrius 2019-11-25 03:56:43 Hey Mark, macOS has a Zoom feature in System Preferences > Accessibility > Zoom. If you turn on the "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom", the scrolling direction to zoom in and out should be the same — we took this to be the 'default' direction in macOS. It's unlikely we'll go back to the way it works...
That accessibility zoom direction only follows whatever mouse setting a user has set it to here:
Pixelmator Pro enforces the "natural" scroll-direction, regardless of user preference. It should either follow the preference, or make it a setting in the app.
How was this overlooked? It's really surprising when you guys seem so on point for other UI/UX stuff.
Our trial ran out, but don't think we'll consider purchasing until this is resolved.

2021-11-23 22:11:20

Please implement the update. This is really annoying it can not be changed.

I did search on forums and this request is ongoing here for YEARS!

2021-11-23 23:22:30

Works for me now like when "Scroll direction: Natural is disabled. M1Mac/BigSur.

2021-11-24 14:21:20

by Ptr Please implement the update. This is really annoying it can not be changed.

I did search on forums and this request is ongoing here for YEARS!

Hi Ptr. Is the Terminal flag for inverting scroll direction in Pixelmator Pro not working for you either? Here it is again in case you've missed it:

defaults write com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.x scrollToZoomDirectionInverted -bool true

2021-12-06 16:27:09

Aurelija, the Terminal flag for inverting scroll direction does work (macos Catalina), but for God's sake it should be done in Pixelmator preferences, not in Terminal.

2021-12-07 00:43:32

+1

2021-12-07 09:50:21

by Alexander Tokarev Aurelija, the Terminal flag for inverting scroll direction does work (macos Catalina), but for God's sake it should be done in Pixelmator preferences, not in Terminal.
Good to hear it's working! We are thinking that it'd be great to have a dedicated advanced settings section for all the Terminal commands somewhere in the Pixelmator Pro preferences. I'm sure we'll get there one day when our schedule loosens up a bit.

2021-12-07 11:38:07

We are thinking that it'd be great to have a dedicated advanced settings section for all the Terminal commands somewhere in the Pixelmator Pro preferences.
:thumbs_up:

2022-02-21 18:12:48

Can't wait for the invert mouse zoom wheel option somewhere in Pixelmator Pro Preferences.
So far for me this is the only crucial thing missing.
Everything else works fantastic.

2022-02-22 14:32:19

by Maciej Can't wait for the invert mouse zoom wheel option somewhere in Pixelmator Pro Preferences.
So far for me this is the only crucial thing missing.
Everything else works fantastic.
Yep, we still haven't had the chance to address this but it's good to know everything else is working smoothly.