Dual Monitor no more with Pixelmator Pro

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-06-20 18:08:43

With Pixelmator using two monitors was easy. I put the controls on the right LG 5K monitor and used the center LG 5K monitor for the working area. But with Pixelmator Pro all I can get is one monitor to work. How do I disconnect the various control menus from the working area?

2018-06-21 07:40:14

Well, with Pixelmator Pro, we went the single window route — I'm not sure if we'll be adding an option to detach the various elements of the interface, but I'll add this to our feature request list.

2018-06-27 15:34:32

Okay, I'll use my copy of Pixelmator Pro when you include a way to detach the menus from the workspace.

Joanna

2018-06-27 18:58:46

I personally much much much prefer the new way with the single window!

Why not give us the option to set it up how we want it? That way those that like the old broken up way can do that while those of us that prefer it all in one place and love the new setup with the buttons on the side to easily access everything can do that.

2018-06-29 21:45:54

JHill - While I understand your desire, I've got a little UX experience/opinion on this. The single-window is just a better, more standardized way to operate. Floating panels make users have to locate things, which takes time and brain cycles. Iterating fewer variables (within a single window) as MacOS changes over time makes progress smoother. Obviously, you're free to stick with Pixelmator, but if it's at all possible to bite the bullet and get comfy with the Pro UX, I think you're better situated to play with future new toys. (edited to get JHill's name right)

2018-07-17 07:59:05

Suggestion: Another way you could use two monitors is by allowing two views of the same Image. Or one Image per monitor.

2018-10-19 04:29:27

Please please please allow the tools and layers to detach and be placed on the second monitor. I don't care if it's "just a better, more standardized way to operate", it's the way I prefer. I bought a second monitor for the sole purpose of having tool boxes and other items out of the way so I could focus on the image in the main monitor.

2018-10-19 10:48:57

As I mentioned above, this isn't something we've got planned for the future, but I feel like it might be worth a rethink. We'll consider it!

2018-11-10 11:49:37

by Greg McMahan 2018-10-19 04:29:27 I don't care if it's "just a better, more standardized way to operate", it's the way I prefer.
It is neither better, nor is it more standardized, particularly among apps for which "Pro" is more than a marketing gimmick, whether it appears in the name of the app or not.

If nothing else, even on single monitor setups not being able to detach panels from the workspace windows & place them wherever on the screen a user wants wastes lots of screen space with multiple copies of the same UI elements in each window. Likewise, since some tools have lots of settings while others do not, with all of them sharing the same screen space on the right, there often is a lot of useless empty space on the right that better could be devoted to the document window.

Besides, it really isn't a "single window" UI anyway: Shapes, Colors, Gradients, & Document Info all appear in their own windows.

2018-11-11 01:20:30

I'm finding myself using the previous version of Pixelmator more & more just because the panels are where I want them. And because the scroll wheel on my mouse works correctly also. I'm right handed, so I prefer my tools on my 2nd monitor to my right. It just seems natural.

2019-01-22 17:26:14

Are the tool palettes detachable yet?

Imagine you have desk set up just the way you like it. Everything you use is easily accessible, you can see what you need right away. Then you come into work one morning and somebody has placed all your tools into little boxes that are glued to your desktop and the lids open inward obstructing the view of your project. Also, you have to open and close the box each time you want to use a tool.

PLEASE ADD DETACHABLE PALETTES!!

The older version of Pixelmator has it, there was no reason to take that away. I've stopped using Pixelmator Pro because it's such a hassle dealing with the single screen.

2019-01-24 19:33:10

All my other pro apps (Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro X, Cubase, Xcode, etc.) allow me to position a single, full-screen 'content' pane on one monitor with palettes and tools on another. I understand single-window is optimal for laptop computers, but for desktop/workstation duty, it is indeed a hinderance. This is why I stick with the original Pixelmator for graphic duties.

Consider this another vote for detachable/floating palettes in Pixelmator Pro!

2019-07-19 18:24:02

by R C-R 2018-11-10 17:49:37
Besides, it really isn't a "single window" UI anyway: Shapes, Colors, Gradients, & Document Info all appear in their own windows.
Exactly.

+1 for detachable palettes.

2019-10-17 22:32:06

Ok, I'm very very pissed at the fact that I just spent 40$ to realize that on my MacBook Pro 13 I cannot do what I used to do : have all my tools on my second monitor while having space on the main monitor to edit content.

I am super jammed on my tiny screen now.

Yesterday 16:01:06

We'll do our best to keep this in mind for future updates — we'll be adding some interface customization options so this is something we could look into doing after that (or together with it).