Export Resize

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-02-01 03:03:11

I often work on images at a higher resoluton than they will be published. It would be useful to be able to downsize the exported image at time of export from the export dialog box.

What I do at the moment is either downsize, export then undo or use a script that downsizes the exported image before uploading. Neither of these options is ideal.

2018-02-05 10:31:47

Yep, a great suggestion and that's one of the things we definitely do have in mind!

2018-02-27 10:03:17

Hi Andrius.

I have a request for how this feature could be implemented (that just occurred to me). If I resize an image using Image Size..., style effects (e.g. Stroke) do not resize with the image, i.e. a 5px stroke stays a 5px stroke regardless of the resize.

I would want a resize at export to work differently. Since I want the exported image to look exactly like the higher resolution version (just smaller), I would want these styles to scale with the image, either by some very clever programming or the quick and easy way of rendering the entire image to a flat pixel layer before resizing.

I hope this can make it into the plan. It may be that you're already thinking this way.

All the best,

- Stef.

2018-03-06 00:05:03

P.S. It would be really good if I could add a logo or watermark after resizing for export. This would ensure that the logo would appear at the same size on all exported images regardless of the dimensions of the source file.

2018-03-07 10:08:55

Interesting idea — I've passed it on to the design team. :thumbs_up:

2020-10-27 19:56:15

Any idea on the timing of this? I use this export/resize feature a lot on a ubiquitous competitive product I won't name here, and am looking to transition all our workflow to Pixelmator.

2020-10-27 21:47:20

Maybe you are looking for something like this, this script is used for icons... but maybe you could edit it to feet your needs.
(**
* [exportToFile:(string):option:(list):format:(string)]
* Description: Export to files with multi image size and format string. 
*)

set resList to {1024, 512, 256, 128, 64} 
set theTarget to (choose file name with prompt "")

my exportToFile:theTarget option:resList format:"jpeg"
on exportToFile:_targetPath option:_imageSize format:_imageFormat
	set theTarget to _targetPath as string
	tell application "Pixelmator Pro"
		tell front document
			set {theWidth, theHeight} to {width, height}
			if {theWidth, theHeight} is not equal to {1024, 1024} then
				set errorLog to "Check if the imageSize is correct 1024x1024"
				error errorLog number -128
			end if

repeat with i in _imageSize
				resize image width i height i resolution 72 algorithm lanczos
				if (_imageFormat = "png") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".png") as PNG
				end if
				if (_imageFormat = "tiff") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".tiff") as TIFF
				end if
				if (_imageFormat = "jpeg") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".jpeg") as JPEG
				end if
				if (_imageFormat = "heic") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".heic") as HEIC
				end if
				if (_imageFormat = "gif") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".gif") as GIF
				end if
				if (_imageFormat = "jpeg2000") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".jpeg") as JPEG2000
				end if
				if (_imageFormat = "bmp") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".bmp") as BMP
				end if
				if (_imageFormat = "webp") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".webp") as WebP
				end if
				if (_imageFormat = "svg") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".svg") as SVG
				end if
				if (_imageFormat = "pdf") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".pdf") as PDF
				end if
				if (_imageFormat = "psd") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".psd") as PSD
				end if
				if (_imageFormat = "pxd") then
					export to file (theTarget & "-" & (i as string) & "x" & (i as string) & ".pxd") as Pixelmator Pro
				end if
                               undo
			end repeat
		end tell
	end tell
end exportToFile:option:format:

2020-10-31 22:06:09

hi
will we ever be able to export in different sizes?
its a pain to have to use another software to scale images down so i can upload them on the web

2020-11-02 08:13:25

by DimGR hi
will we ever be able to export in different sizes?
its a pain to have to use another software to scale images down so i can upload them on the web
Yes, you'll be able to do this in the future — it won't be added in the next update but it's something we've been considering recently.

2020-11-11 10:03:54

I came on here and signed up just to +1 this. Right now I copy an image, create a new image from clipboard, resize it, export it, close the new image, no I don't want to save it..., go back to the original image. This is not fun. I'm not enjoying this.

2020-11-11 11:39:22

Why do you not use AppleScript ??

2021-05-29 22:08:02

Following this issue. Two competing products I use, one by a large software company and one open source application, both have this feature and it is super nice.

Would be great to ditch both of those so I could use Pixelmator for my entire workflow, which includes final export of images of many sizes.