Selection, fixed size, is it possible?

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-01-18 12:30:08

Hi all.

I've been using Pixelmator Pro for a few days (still haven't bought it yet) and I'm loving it, but there's a feature that I use a lot in Photoshop and I can't figure it out how to do it in Pixelmator: I need to make selections of a given size and I need to be able to manually put the size in pixels.

Example: I need to create a selection box that is 150x230 pixels in size.

Please include it as an option in future versions!

Thanks a lot!

2018-01-18 13:14:50

Hi there, here's a fairly quick way to do this using Pixelmator Pro:

1. Add a rectangle shape to your image (Insert > Shape > Rectangle)
2. Select the Arrange tool (Tools > Arrange) and enter the size you need
3. Choose Edit > Load Selection
4. Optionally, hide or remove the shape layer
5. Choose a selection tool to move the selection without moving its contents

Hoppe that helps!

2018-01-18 19:10:34

Thanks, it works! Anyway, is way easier as it is implemented in Photoshop so, if it's possible and you have the time, please include it! This is something I do a lot and every second counts.

I need to practice a lot because so many years of using Photoshop are not going to be easy to forget. :)

2019-11-21 12:17:03

Hi

I had the same question, but I do not think it is a "fairly quick way" to do it...

Is there any way to constrain a ratio or put a fixed size directly in the selection tool ? That would be, in my opinion, a quick way.

Thanks !

2019-11-21 15:38:31

by Rromainn 2019-11-21 12:17:03 Hi

I had the same question, but I do not think it is a "fairly quick way" to do it...

Is there any way to constrain a ratio or put a fixed size directly in the selection tool ? That would be, in my opinion, a quick way.

Thanks !
In my defense, while the additional actions undoubtedly make the process less convenient and definitely slower, it's still fairly quick. This has two additional actions, both of which take a grand total of a few seconds, especially if you use keyboard shortcuts.

1. U -> draw shape
2. V -> enter size
3. Option-Command-L to load selection (or Command-click layer thumbnail)
4. (Optionally) M to choose the rectangular selection tool to move/adjust your selection

Again, I'm not saying this is super convenient, and if you have to repeat it many times over, I'm sure it would get tiring. But I'd still argue this is relatively quick. :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. We'll keep this improvement in mind for future updates.

2021-04-04 18:38:49

Hi Andrius,

I just dredged this 2018 thread up by searching for the same info. This will be extremely helpful. I've never taken the time to figure out how to do it before.

You lost me on "load selection" though. I've got the rectangle at the exact dimensions on screen, but what does "load selection" do? I think I'm missing something simple here.

Best,
Adam

2021-04-07 12:11:06

by adamjd 2021-04-04 15:38:49 You lost me on "load selection" though. I've got the rectangle at the exact dimensions on screen, but what does "load selection" do? I think I'm missing something simple here.
Load Selection automatically creates a selection that copies the shape and size of the rectangle you've drawn. This way, a selection of your specified size can be created. Alternatively, you can draw a selection using the Rectangular Selection tool right off the bat and reshape or resize it using the Transform tool (Command + T).

2021-04-23 14:29:59

I had a hard time reproducing the steps in this thread to create a selection from a shape. So for all the noobs like me: the shape needs to have a fill! Otherwise it won't work!

2021-08-12 01:56:20

Would it be possible to just add a setting for this? Even the Gimp can find screen real estate for this setting, and it's the Gimp.

2021-12-08 17:26:47

Hello,
any news about that ?
Having settings for the Rectangle Select would be a really great feature :) too bad we sometimes want to change tool to make such easy tasks. I would love to do everything in Pixelmator

2021-12-09 08:36:11

by Fred V Hello,
any news about that ?
Having settings for the Rectangle Select would be a really great feature :) too bad we sometimes want to change tool to make such easy tasks. I would love to do everything in Pixelmator
Sure! When you draw a selection, Control-click inside it and choose Transform Selection. All the options for transforming the selection will show up in the Tool Options pane. Hope that helps!