Paint brushes from old Pixelmator

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-02-03 20:33:54

The old Pixelmator has some brushes like "smoke" which I'd love to see in Pixelmator Pro. To be honest, I need a good reason to switch. I would have expected Pixelmator Pro to have all the same features as Pixelmator plus more. Seeing features missing is a big bummer and dissuades me from purchasing.

2018-02-05 09:04:59

If you drag out a brush from the original Pixelmator and drop it onto your desktop, you can then drag it onto the Pixelmator Pro icon in the Dock to import the preset.

As for certain features not being in Pixelmator to Pixelmator Pro — we want to add improved versions of those features rather than simply copying over what was in Pixelmator. I'm not sure what in particular you're missing, but quite a few people have had trouble finding certain things (e.g. blending modes/opacity...) even though they're available and for other things, there are workarounds that works just as well or even better than features in Pixelmator (e.g. the Image Fill effect for clipping masks). So if there's anything else you'd like to see, let us know here and we'll point you in the right direction for potential workarounds and obviously keep them in mind for future updates.

2018-10-22 01:35:56

Just purchased Pixelmator Pro at the App Store and have been using several other drawing apps as well as the original Pixelmator for iMac and iPad. I'm so happy you've made the brushes from Pixelmator available for the Pro version.

The smoke, flowers and bush like brushes save hours of time drawing and are fun to use!

Three questions:
1. Is there a way to move ALL the Pixelmator brushes to the Pro version in one fell swoop.

2. Will the original Pixelmator become deprecated at some point?

3. Will Pixelmator Pro be make available for the iPad some day?

Thx, great looking app and I'm happy to see it improving.

2018-10-22 11:26:19

Hey Richie, there is indeed a way to move all the Pixelmator brushes to Pixelmator Pro more easily. First, you'll need to navigate to the Library folder where those brushes are stored. To do that, open up Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder (from the Go menu at the top of your screen), then paste the following path:

~/Library/Containers/com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator/Data/Library/Application Support/Pixelmator/Brushes

Then, you can simply drag the PXB files onto the Pixelmator Pro icon to the Dock. New categories will be created for the brushes according to the names of the collections in Pixelmator.

At some point, it is inevitable that the original Pixelmator will no longer be developed. We plan to keep updating for a while yet, though and this will be announced publicly in advance of it happening.

Someday, Pixelmator Pro will most likely be available for iPad. We have actually been working on it for several years now, but we haven't really reached a point at which we'd be satisfied with the kind of experience we'd be bringing, so I really can't say what the future holds. It may be a long while yet and we have some other plans for iPad which we'll be sharing in the not too distant future.

2018-10-22 18:39:29

So cool, thx for all the brushes coming back. I did take a few of my favorites and name them but was afraid if the original Pixelmator become deprecated at some point I'd lose the other brushes I don't have time to test. Awesome!

Is there a setting for me to get an email when a response is made to one of my posts?

I'm just checking back at this URL from time to time.

Thanks again...great app!!!

2018-10-23 05:35:18

BTY-Is there a setting for me to get an email when a response is made to one of my posts?

2018-10-23 10:35:22

Next to the very first post on a thread, there's a Follow Thread button on the right side — if you click that, you'll get email notifications about any replies on that thread. You can also follow individual forums if you'd like to get updates whenever a thread is posted. :thumbs_up:

2018-10-24 21:54:52

Thx Andrius,
I'm really enjoying using Pixelmator Pro and happy I purchased it :heart_eyes: