Gradient Masks Possible in Pixelmator Pro 2.4?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-04-13 18:31:24

I cannot figure out how to fill a layer mask with a black and white gradient. In versions, prior to 2.4, you could do this:

This video shows what I want to do. Does not work in 2.4:
https://youtu.be/uDyMC-kd7Fs

2022-04-14 07:27:17

It works perfectly fine - but the layers need to be reordered: mask is below image and imaged needs "Clipping mask"ed.
Or by using a Mask to which a gradient is applied or painted by hand:
This official video explains how-to - even though the UI differs now.

2022-04-14 09:14:34

I can accomplish the result by applying a gradient fill to the mask using the Gradient tool.

However, in the video using the old interface the demo shows a Gradient Fill EFFECT applied to the mask.
This no longer works. If you select the mask and try to apply an EFFECT to the mask the EFFECT is applied to the pixel layer, not the mask as demonstrated in the video.

Am I missing something here? I tried unlinking the mask from the layer but the EFFECT is still applied to the pixel layer, not the mask.

Here the video shows the EFFECT Gradient selector controlling the gradient on the mask. In the new interface, I cannot get this to work.

New Interface: Gradient EFFECT replaces image in layer with gradient instead of applying gradient to mask:

2022-04-14 09:42:44

This seems an UI change - but look at my second screenshot: I didn´t use the Effects panel but the Gradient Fill tool.
This is all it takes.

2022-04-14 10:34:28

by EllenM 2022-04-14 09:43:05 This seems an UI change - but look at my second screenshot: I didn´t use the Effects panel but the Gradient Fill tool.
This is all it takes.
As I mentioned in the Bugs thread, this change removes useful functionality. When using the Gradient EFFECT you get a selector that allows you to move the gradient around in real-time. Now we no longer have this functionality.

2022-04-14 10:59:57

Lysander, now that we've added effects and color adjustments layers, you should no longer need to create a separate layer mask for an edit like this. You can clip your image layer to a Gradient Fill effect layer directly, and it should give you the desired result — a nondestructive gradient mask — saving you a few extra steps.

Edit: After some discussion with the team, we've decided to bring back the effects on masks in the next update after all! So if your workflows relied heavily on this functionality, you'll be able to use it again. :)

2022-04-14 12:45:42

Aurelija,

Great news, thanks!

Having the EFFECTS work on masks, since masks are now like layers, makes sense to me ;-)

2022-04-14 12:49:04

by Aurelija 2022-04-14 14:59:57 You can clip your image layer to a Gradient Fill effect layer directly, and it should give you the desired result — a nondestructive gradient mask — saving you a few extra steps.
This doesn't seem to be working for me; is there something I should be doing differently?

2022-04-14 13:04:10

Bethanne, try checking if the Gradient Fill effect has Preserve Transparency turned off. Click the effect name to deselect it.

2022-04-14 13:05:54

That worked! Thanks for your help :)

2022-04-14 13:43:38

by bethanne 2022-04-14 13:06:18 That worked! Thanks for your help :)
Happy to help! :raised_hands:

2022-04-25 10:20:03

Fixed in 2.4.2

2023-02-22 21:06:45

I cannot get gradient masks to work in ANY way. Maybe I am too used to photoshop - but performing similar functions with layer masks and gradient fills does not work in any way.

What am I missing?

Version 3.2.3 (Lumière)

2023-02-23 10:00:48

Hi David! There's not very much to miss here - all you'd need to do to apply a gradient mask to a layer is to Control-click that layer, select Add Mask, then select the mask and add the Gradient Fill effect to it using the Effects tool. Take care to disable Preserve Transparency as Aurelija mentioned above.

If you're still having trouble with this, perhaps you could share a screenshot of what the project layout and Gradient Fill effect settings look like on your end?