Adjustment Layers in Pixelmator Pro

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-12-30 16:55:48

Is there any way you can add adjustment layers in Pixelmator Pro that overlay effects and color adjustments on top of layers? If this is not a feature, please consider adding it to the Pixelmator Roadmap.
Thanks!

2022-01-05 09:10:25

Hi dapl3b. Right now, this can be done by grouping all layers and applying effects or color adjustments to the layer group, but dedicated adjustment layers are on the roadmap as well. :ok_hand:

2022-01-06 10:24:41

To be noted is that most ML functions are not available on grouped layers, but otherwise it's working very well.

Also the Vignette setting seems not to work consistently across layers, I'll make some more tests and fill a bug report if it's really the case.

2022-01-11 15:11:53

by Marc Saurfelt 2022-01-06 08:24:41 To be noted is that most ML functions are not available on grouped layers, but otherwise it's working very well.

Also the Vignette setting seems not to work consistently across layers, I'll make some more tests and fill a bug report if it's really the case.
Thanks! :pray:

2022-02-04 03:07:07

Is "adjustment layer" really a Pixelmator Pro term? I could not find such a sub-category of layer when I was trying to follow/adapt instructions from a Ps tutorial. Instead, I added a simple, empty layer, then made adjustments in the panel on the right. My efforts broke down when I got to instructions that made no sense to me, possibly because of how I did it above. (I don't know Ps, so I'm not clear why I bogged down.)

2022-02-04 08:51:58

by Jimbo724 2022-02-04 01:07:07 Is "adjustment layer" really a Pixelmator Pro term? I could not find such a sub-category of layer when I was trying to follow/adapt instructions from a Ps tutorial. Instead, I added a simple, empty layer, then made adjustments in the panel on the right. My efforts broke down when I got to instructions that made no sense to me, possibly because of how I did it above. (I don't know Ps, so I'm not clear why I bogged down.)
There are no adjustment layers as such in Pixelmator Pro right now. The purpose of an adjustment layer is to essentially let you make changes to a layer or number of layers nondestructively. Since effects and color adjustments in Pixelmator Pro are nondestructive by nature, we initially felt like there was no need for adjustment layers. But there are workflows where such functionality may be useful (like applying edits to multiple layers at a time as jam3shug pointed out above), therefore we're considering adjustment layers as something we could add to Pixelmator Pro at some point.

Update: Adjustment layers have been added in Pixelmator Pro version 2.4.