LUMINANCE RANBES (BLEND-IF)

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-11-27 15:14:46

Provide Luminance ranges in your app, meaning — I can define a mask on my current layer based upon the luminance of it's or pixels below it. If I want a graphic on a top layer to only appear on a bright >90% white sky, I should be able to do that.

Alongside adjustment layers, this is essential to Vogue retouching workflows.

2021-11-30 15:17:39

Noted! I think certain other workflows (like using layer masks) might work for what you're looking for too, but I get that applying a simple blend mode is usually more efficient. I'm pretty sure we had "Blend if" blend mode among the nice-to-have features but I've pinged the team about it just in case.

2021-12-03 03:50:05

by Aurelija 2021-11-30 14:17:39 Noted! I think certain other workflows (like using layer masks) might work for what you're looking for too, but I get that applying a simple blend mode is usually more efficient. I'm pretty sure we had "Blend if" blend mode among the nice-to-have features but I've pinged the team about it just in case.
Yes if it's a big object, masks can do. If you're retouching a fabric or clothing where you have thousands of parts in different luminances, hand painting "only the shadows" to apply selective adjustments to only the shadows takes decades and is inefficient. The same goes to human skin and human pores in high end retouching. And it's not really a blend mode that you apply, it's really a simple slider that just tells the app "apply this to the dark parts and not the light parts", and you define where that tolerance begins and ends, and that's it. But it's literally a life saver for so many other so much advanced works.

Having this feature wouldn't make sense without adjustment layers.