Pixelmator Pro PSD export for use by Procretae

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-06-08 01:36:12

I am trying to export an image from Mac Pixelmator Pro ( 2.0.8 ) to work on in Procreate on my iPad. I want to use the PSD format to preserve layer information but there seems to be a problem with layer groups. Essentially if I remove all groups everything works fine but with layer groups Procreate fails and the import never happens. I suspect one of the products isn't supporting the PSD format quite correctly. On the Procreat forums there seems to be discussion about this and they seem to have put a lot of effort into fixing bugs to support PSD files correctly. Is it possible that Pixelmator Pro isn't generating a completely valid file? Anyone else tried this and got it to work?

2021-06-08 11:59:18

Hey David. Just tested this — looks like the issue is on Procreate's end after all. I haven't encountered any issues when opening documents with layer groups in other third-party (like Affinity Photo, for instance). Generally, even if some features are not supported, the app shouldn't really quit unexpectedly. It would probably be a good idea to get in touch with Procreate devs about this directly.

2021-06-08 13:50:55

Thanks for testing it Aurelija. I agree Procreate shouldn't just quit like that even if its can't read the file. I'll ask them about it. Just wondered if anyone here had got it working since it seemed likely that someone else must use both applications.

2021-06-08 19:28:45

No problem, I've also passed your report on to the team to see if there's anything we can work out on our end. In the meantime, if opening PSDs from other apps work, you could probably try re-exporting the PSD using some of these other apps. That's the only workaround I can think of at the moment. :thinking: