A question to Pixelmator Pro users.

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-06-03 08:08:51

I really like how the software looks and how fast it work but I am not sure if it has some of the crucial for me features. I am a retoucher and I often use frequency separation, as well as, dodge and burn. Can in it do those things or it is more like original Pixelmator ? Also, I've seen that there is no option to use adjustments in layers. Does it bother you ? Especially, inability to use masks with adjustments ? Thanks.

2021-06-03 10:36:47

To answer your original question: yes! Pixelmator Pro has both blend modes, and many more as well. frequency separation is also an effect in Pixelmator but it is instead called 'High pass', still works the same as far as I know :) you can check about more Pixelmator features here: https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/tech-specs/

As for the lack of colour adjustment layers: I don't find it too much of a problem, and it's much quicker to be able to drop a photo into Pixelmator and jump right in to the colour adjustments tool straight away, and you have just about everything you need!
should you come into the issue of where you need to recolour a part of your photo (and 'replace colour' doesn't work for you) it's really easy, to go to your preferred method of selecting *the thing*(btw the Pixelmator pro quick selection tool is amazing. just amazing.) and when happy, hit ⌘J on your keyboard and it will duplicate the selected layer, but masked to your selection, so then you can do whatever you need to do to that part of the photo!

Personally, I haven't used Pixelmator classic, but I know affinity photo in and out, and Pixelmator Pro stacks up really well to it! give it a shot! you can grab a free trial https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/free-trial/ and at the moment, Pixelmator Pro is 50% off! If you love macOS then you'll love this app!

2021-06-03 12:32:28

by Tali 2021-06-03 07:36:47 To answer your original question: yes! Pixelmator Pro has both blend modes, and many more as well. frequency separation is also an effect in Pixelmator but it is instead called 'High pass', still works the same as far as I know :) you can check about more Pixelmator features here: https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/tech-specs/

As for the lack of colour adjustment layers: I don't find it too much of a problem, and it's much quicker to be able to drop a photo into Pixelmator and jump right in to the colour adjustments tool straight away, and you have just about everything you need!
should you come into the issue of where you need to recolour a part of your photo (and 'replace colour' doesn't work for you) it's really easy, to go to your preferred method of selecting *the thing*(btw the Pixelmator pro quick selection tool is amazing. just amazing.) and when happy, hit ⌘J on your keyboard and it will duplicate the selected layer, but masked to your selection, so then you can do whatever you need to do to that part of the photo!

Personally, I haven't used Pixelmator classic, but I know affinity photo in and out, and Pixelmator Pro stacks up really well to it! give it a shot! you can grab a free trial https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/free-trial/ and at the moment, Pixelmator Pro is 50% off! If you love macOS then you'll love this app!
Tali has said it all. Nothing more to add to this. :raised_hands: Oh, maybe just one thing — adjustment layers are on our roadmap, so if everything goes to plan, it's very likely you'll see them added to Pixelmator Pro one day. :fingers_crossed:

2021-06-03 21:25:49

by Aurelija 2021-06-03 02:32:28
adjustment layers are on our roadmap, so if everything goes to plan, it's very likely you'll see them added to Pixelmator Pro one day. :fingers_crossed:
Yay, would be a great feature! definitely looking forward to that one 😄

2021-06-08 19:59:46

by Tali 2021-06-03 18:25:49 Yay, would be a great feature! definitely looking forward to that one 😄
Yay! :raised_hands:

2021-12-28 23:10:11

I´m not sure I understand the problem.
Can´t you just Quick select ("Q") the red shirt - copy&paste so you have a new layer above with just the shirt?