Problem with retouching.

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-05-25 10:19:29

Hello,
recently I discovered a problem when retouching a photo.
This is what happened:
In a photo, I removed an image detail using the retouch brush. In the further workflow I then improved exposure and color. After enhancing the exposure, the trace of the retouch brush was visible in the image. When I do the retouching after enhancing the exposure/color this does not happen.
I conclude that retouching should always be done as the last step in the workflow, just before resizing and de-noising/sharpening.
Maybe I did something wrong, but if this should be a normal behavior of Pixelmator, there should be a hint in the documentation or in a tutorial about the correct workflow.

Best regards Helmut

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2021-05-25 12:25:41

Hi! Is there any chance the repairs you make show up on a different layer? Could you try deselecting "Sample All Layers" in the Repair tool options and let me know if that helps?

2021-05-25 15:10:34

Hello Aurelija,
thank you for the hint. It is indeed so:

When I select the "Sample all Layers" option, a new layer is created for retouching and the trace of the retouch brush is visible after adjusting the exposure.

If I uncheck the "Sample all Layers" option, no new layer is created for retouching and the trace of the retouch brush is also not visible after adjusting the exposure.

It is still not clear to me why a new layer is created when the option is used and no new layer is created when the option is not used. Maybe you can say something more about this or give a reference to a tutorial or the corresponding place in the documentation that provides more clarity here.

Thanks again for your help and best regards Helmut

2021-05-27 13:58:12

Glad to hear that was it. One of the purposes of the "Sample All Layers" is to ensure nondestructive editing. Since the Repair tool is destructive (it manipulates pixels), the edits you make with it cannot be reverted and will be flattened whenever you adjust colors or use any other tool. Therefore, to keep the repairs editable, "Sample All Layers" is typically turned on by default, and the repairs show up on a new separate layer.

2021-05-27 14:02:17

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time.

2021-06-01 09:58:31

by Helmut Wagner 2021-05-27 11:02:17 Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time.
You're welcome. :pray: