How to remove part of the letters

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-04-20 20:42:10

Hi, how can I create a logo and make one remove part of a few letters

As in my model :

Best Regards
Aurelien :)

2021-04-20 22:12:05

1. Create a text object

2. Create a rectangle shape object

3. Right click the Text layer and choose "Convert into Shape"

4. Resize/Move/Rotate the rectangle into the desired position for where you'd like to "cut" the letters. (Optionally turn down the opacity to help see what you are doing).

5. Select both layers (shift+click) and then click the "subtract" (2nd) button in the "Combine" section of the Arrange tool on the right.

6. Voila

This is just one (of probably many many) ways to accomplish this. Another way would be to use a clipping layer (this would allow you to continue to edit the text instead of converting it to a shape, etc...)

2021-04-21 07:21:09

Hi, oh thanks :grin:

2021-04-22 10:52:45

Awesome tutorial, Chad E! Just to chime in with another potential workflow (as there are, indeed, quite a few of them) — a layer mask created from a selection. This would also let you keep the text fully editable and the crop line customizable. :)

2021-04-22 22:24:43

by Aurelija 2021-04-22 17:52:45 a layer mask created from a selection.
Hi, Aurelija, could you explain what you mean by this? I've not heard of creating a layer mask from a selection, and my cursory playing/clicking around in PP did not yield any results. It sounds very useful!

2021-04-22 22:30:53

Aha, I think I found it... from https://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/re ... ing-masks/
In addition to manually painting masks, there are a few more ways to mask out parts of images. For example, you can create masks from selections. If you have an object you’d like to mask, you can first make a selection of it using any of the selection tools. When you add a mask, everything outside the selected area will be hidden by the mask, which is automatically created for you.
Which does indeed work!

2021-04-26 10:41:43

by Chad E 2021-04-22 19:30:53 Aha, I think I found it... from https://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/re ... ing-masks/

Which does indeed work!
Yup, that's exactly what I had in mind! Using clipped shapes is probably a bit more convenient, still. :)