Radial Filter

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-04-18 07:48:40

Hi there

I’m a relatively medium term PP user and the software is my ‘go to’ for image editing.

Does anyone have any tips on how to replicate to the radial filter function that Lightroom has?

I’ve tried various methods such as selection and grouping, but none really give me the effect I’m after.

Appreciate anyone’s feedback on this.

Cheers

Ben

2021-04-20 07:56:13

Anyone got any tips on this?

2021-04-20 08:26:36

Heya! I believe some workarounds should be possible using layer masks. Perhaps you could share a bit more of your workflow? Are you only looking to selectively adjust the colors of certain areas in an image?

2021-04-20 08:30:11

Hi there.

Yes.

Are you familiar with the filter on Lightroom? I don’t use LR myself, but I’ve seen so many tutorials on it and it’s a feature that would be helpful if there was a simple workaround in PP.

Dodging & Burning can be too severe at times,

So, was just wondering if any seasoned PP users had any tips?

2021-04-20 09:47:02

I haven't got hands-on experience with radial filters but from what I could find on the web, I think I get the gist of it and have an idea of how to replicate similar functionality in Pixelmator Pro. The method is not perfect (it works best with one adjustment at a time) but here it goes:

1. Duplicate the image you'd like to edit.
2. Use the Shape tool to create a circle or an ellipse.
3. Use the Style tool to fill the shape with a black and white radial gradient (you can choose it from the Black & White gradients collection). Adjust the gradient to your liking — this will be your radial filter. Keep in mind, that the black areas of the gradient will be affected by the color adjustments, while the white areas will not be changed. You can also convert the shape layer into pixels and additionally transform it to change the shape of the gradient.
4. Control-click the uppermost one of the duplicated layers and choose Add Mask.
5. Select the newly created mask and choose format, effects, Fill > Image.
6. Drag the shape image thumbnail from the Layers sidebar to the Image effect color well. At this point, the radial filter is already created and you can delete or hide the shape layer.
7. Select the original image layer (without the mask) and apply the color adjustments you want.

All the above steps may look a bit intimidating at first, but it shouldn't really take more than 5 minutes to set everything up.
If you have any questions regarding any of the steps, do let me know!

2021-04-20 10:51:45

Excellent. I will have a go and report back.

Appreciate the help.

2021-04-22 08:50:01

by bogheadben 2021-04-20 07:51:45 Excellent. I will have a go and report back.

Appreciate the help.
:pray: