Can anyone tell me how to get a jagged (or ragged) edge to a shape, similar to old photo prints?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-04-15 17:26:27

Apple used to have this feature on some of its apps, and I think it should be on Pixelmator pro, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. You know, like those old Kodak prints used to look. I'm attaching one. Image Thanks!

2021-04-16 16:47:21

Hi! You could probably make use of the clipping mask here. But that would be the final step. First and foremost, you'd need to create a shape of the outline you like. You can create one yourself using Pen tools or — a quicker option — find the design you like on the web and convert it into a shape after selecting it using any of the selection tools. Then, you can clip your images to this shape, similar to how it is done in this tutorial here: https://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/vi ... -a-circle/

Hope that helps!

2021-04-18 17:28:51

Thanks! I was hoping for a line or frame--something quick and easy--but I suppose I could make a template following what you suggest. I'll try it.

I mean, similar variations in lines exist in Pages. Why isn't there something like this Image in Pixelmator?

2021-04-20 08:17:35

That would be the equivalent of the stroke styles in Pixelmator Pro, and while they are available (under the Style tool > Stroke), there isn't that wide of a variety of them at the moment. For now, you can choose between a regular continuous line, a dashed line, or a dotted line.
I realize, though, that the clipping mask method is a bit lengthier, and we're actually working on one particular feature that should, hopefully, make the workflow you described possible. We'll see how it goes.