repairing misaligned scan

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-04-04 20:48:26

I have a color scan of an old black-and-white photo. (The original photo is not available.)

The image as it came to me is blurry, but I noticed some weird color artifacts. On a hunch, I split the image into layers for red, green, and blue. Now I have three images, each of which is sharper than the original. (My guess is something was misaligned in the scanner.)

Even though the original image was black-and-white, I would like to put these three color layers back together to see if the result looks better than any single layer.

I suspect I need to be able to nudge each layer by very small amounts in various directions, but probably not merely up, down, left, and right; I doubt the alignment problem is strictly along the horizontal or vertical axis. I also doubt the alignment is off by an even multiple of pixels.

What's the best approach for this?

2021-04-07 11:36:56

Hey there Pete! If possible, perhaps you could share a screenshot of how these artifacts look like?

2021-04-25 18:53:14

Are you using the Import menu to bring in the scan? I cannot get this to work. It comes up with "The selected folder does not exist" I can't find a way to select a folder in preferences and saving the receiving object file to a folder on the disk doesn't help. Is anyone having success with this? Sorry to hijack this topic, but I just joined today and can't start my own topic.

2021-04-26 10:21:38

by Rick Yackel Are you using the Import menu to bring in the scan? I cannot get this to work. It comes up with "The selected folder does not exist" I can't find a way to select a folder in preferences and saving the receiving object file to a folder on the disk doesn't help. Is anyone having success with this? Sorry to hijack this topic, but I just joined today and can't start my own topic.
I know it's a Pixelmator Pro thread, but is there any chance you're actually seeing this issue with Pixelmator Classic?