Simulating Color Blindness with Pixelmator Pro?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-03-08 18:50:01

Is there a built in function that will adjust an image to simulate the different types of color blindness?

Alternatively, does anyone by chance have a layer setup they can share that does the trick?

2021-03-09 08:51:19

Nicholas, I use a simple free mac app that sits in menu bar and you can use it to preview different types of color blindness applied to the whole screen (not depending on an app, very convenient). Give it a try:

https://colororacle.org/

2021-03-09 09:52:34

by Nicholas Pappas Is there a built in function that will adjust an image to simulate the different types of color blindness?

Alternatively, does anyone by chance have a layer setup they can share that does the trick?
That should be made possible with the addition of LUTs support that's currently in development. :fingers_crossed:

2021-03-09 16:47:56

by Vladstudio 2021-03-09 16:51:19 Nicholas, I use a simple free mac app that sits in menu bar and you can use it to preview different types of color blindness applied to the whole screen (not depending on an app, very convenient).
Thanks Vladstudio.

I have a similar app I use to "real time" - Sim Daltonism. It offers a nice windowed (or full screen) overlay -- the windowed overlay is very nice to be able to see colors side-by-side. Using Pixelmater Pro, I'm hoping to find a way that I can export an image with all those color adjustments in place, so as to demonstrate the good (or bad) of a color choice.
by Aurelija 2021-03-09 17:52:34
That should be made possible with the addition of LUTs support that's currently in development.
Thanks Aurelija.

Is there any information on the "LUTs support" and a projected roadmap for the release?

Much appreciated to both of you!

2021-03-10 16:09:24

by Nicholas Pappas Is there any information on the "LUTs support" and a projected roadmap for the release?

Much appreciated to both of you!
No info to share just yet, but if you're familiar with LUTs, I can say we'll be adding support for 3D LUTs and, if all goes well, it should be a very user-friendly implementation of this feature. As for a roadmap – it's lined up for the upcoming 2.1 major update, but that's about all we can say for now. :pray:

2021-10-27 13:35:44

For posterity, LUT support was added in v2.0.8 and, as part of the update, we included some LUTs for simulating color blindness.

You can learn more about all this in our user guide and tutorial on LUTs.