Equivalent effect of Light & Dark from Pixelmator Classic?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-01-23 16:41:54

I love Pixelmator Pro but I really miss one effect ‘Light & Dark’ from Pixelmator Classic that I need a lot for processing some satellite imageries.

Is there any equivalent effect from Pixelmator Pro? I tried to find and experience but the results are not satisfying. Hope you guys could help this long-time Pixelmator user.

2021-01-28 11:26:17

Hey there! All the lightness and contrast settings can now be found under Lightness adjustment in Pixelmator Pro (Format > Color Adjustments > Lightness).

2021-02-08 05:06:14

by Aurelija 2021-01-28 03:26:17 Hey there! All the lightness and contrast settings can now be found under Lightness adjustment in Pixelmator Pro (Format > Color Adjustments > Lightness).
Thanks for the reply. However, the specific problem is lacking the equivalent setting to ‘Darken Highlights’.

2021-02-09 11:51:32

Under the Lightness adjustments, there's a dedicated Highlights slider that lets you control how bright or how dark the highlights are in an image. Dragging the slider to the left darkens the highlights while dragging it to the left lightens them.

The changes you make may be more subtle compared to Pixelmator Classic due to the improved color adjustment handling in Pixelmator Pro.

2021-02-17 10:43:50

by Aurelija 2021-02-09 03:51:32 Under the Lightness adjustments, there's a dedicated Highlights slider that lets you control how bright or how dark the highlights are in an image. Dragging the slider to the left darkens the highlights while dragging it to the left lightens them.

The changes you make may be more subtle compared to Pixelmator Classic due to the improved color adjustment handling in Pixelmator Pro.
I have tried this for the whole day again. Unfortunately, the colour effects remain very different from Classic, and I am unable to reproduce the similar pattern.

2021-02-17 11:34:15

Meow sorry to hear that Highlights adjustments in Pixelmator Pro does not solve your problem.

Could you please provide an example images of what you are trying to achieve?

2021-02-17 16:07:16

by Anton Meow sorry to hear that Highlights adjustments in Pixelmator Pro does not solve your problem.

Could you please provide an example images of what you are trying to achieve?
No need to feel sorry at all... I just want to know if it is possible to have the same or similar effects, or I still have to use Pixelmator Classic for them.

There should be no example image as I can’t achieve for any picture or illustration. Generally I use Darken Highlights at about 10 to 20 percent, not that extreme case of 100%.

2021-02-17 16:39:21

Meow now I understand the issue. In Pixelmator Classic the Light&Dark is a non-local filter, while in Pixelmator Pro Shadows/Highlights are mostly pixel-based (that is why they make an image look "flat" when applied). We currently working on improved version of Shadows/Highlights for Pixelmator Pro, so they will produce better results (more similar to the Light&Dark of Pixelmator Classic).

Unfortunately, currently it is not possible to achieve similar results in Pixelmator Pro.

2021-02-18 06:22:44

by Anton 2021-02-17 08:39:21 Meow now I understand the issue. In Pixelmator Classic the Light&Dark is a non-local filter, while in Pixelmator Pro Shadows/Highlights are mostly pixel-based (that is why they make an image look "flat" when applied). We currently working on improved version of Shadows/Highlights for Pixelmator Pro, so they will produce better results (more similar to the Light&Dark of Pixelmator Classic).

Unfortunately, currently it is not possible to achieve similar results in Pixelmator Pro.
Thanks for the explanation that I can finally describe the differences with my own examples.

Original

Pixelmator Classic, Darken Highlights 20%

Pixelmator Pro, Highlights -20%

Pixelmator Pro, Highlights -40%

They confirm that Classic did darken highlights, yet Pro just darkened everything.