Size of thumbnail preview when opening file to edit

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-04-27 13:22:50

First - thanks for a great product.
Was hoping there might be a way to increase the size of the thumbnails shown when trying to open a file.... When going through several thousand photos in a few hundred folders, looking at them as a 1/2" dime sized thumbnail on a fairly large iMac screen is a bit frustrating, especially as my eyes suffer the ongoing indignities of age, sequela of detached retina surgery, etc... The "Command-+" combination doesn't work.
Ideally, maybe having a slider somewhere on the open file window where some choice of thumbnails size could be selected, or even something under the preference menu for "thumbnail size: (small, medium, large) sort if thing? Or, perhaps having something like a filmstrip of variable / adjustable size might be an option under the preferences menu...?
If I wanted to have, say, 6 or 8 or 10 medium to large thumbnails versus 20 dime sized thumbnails, it would save the amount of ibuprofen needed to sort / edit photos in an otherwise very nice program.
Any consideration appreciated - Thanks!

2020-04-27 15:57:12

Hey plumley, welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to share that feature request! I believe there isn't a great deal we can do in the native Open dialog but we could make some improvements to the photo browser (the one that appears when you choose File > New from Photos). I've passed the idea on to the rest of the team!

2020-04-27 23:06:23

Hi Andries,
I would have thought that all the developers would need to do would be to enable the ability to select gallery view In the native Open dialogue box as this is already an OS feature. Currently Pixelmator supports the other views being list, column and icon views.

2020-04-28 09:05:19

I don't see the Gallery view in the Open dialog in native Mac apps (I tried Photos, Keynote, Preview, and QuickTime) so maybe that's only available in the Finder... Either way, I'll add this comment to your feature request. :wink:

2020-06-12 00:16:22

Hi! I'm new here and wow, so far I'm very impressed with pixelator, I use the pro version. It is extremely frustrating not to have a large thumbnail when opening photos and enlarging the thumbnails is the first thing I tried to find. I was surprised that option is not available on an otherwise fantastic program. I think I will have to rely on opening the photos into Pixelmator directly from my photos file rather than within the program. But if the design team could come up with a way to view the thumbnails in a much larger size, it would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

2020-06-16 08:53:13

by Lisa1 2020-06-12 00:16:22 Hi! I'm new here and wow, so far I'm very impressed with pixelator, I use the pro version. It is extremely frustrating not to have a large thumbnail when opening photos and enlarging the thumbnails is the first thing I tried to find. I was surprised that option is not available on an otherwise fantastic program. I think I will have to rely on opening the photos into Pixelmator directly from my photos file rather than within the program. But if the design team could come up with a way to view the thumbnails in a much larger size, it would be much appreciated! Thank you!!
Noted! :pray:

2022-04-14 19:37:43

Appreciate the app. Thanks.

At the same time, it would be a great help to be able to enlarge the thumbnail preview when looking for an image to open while browsing through the folders within the app.

Thanks.

2022-04-19 10:11:56

Thanks, Andy. Fair request! Perhaps it's something we can look into after the Photos browser improvements. :pray:

2023-10-11 11:02:25

It's been 3 years since these comments were posted. Any updates? I'm coming over from the standard photo processing app. I want to use Pixelmator because of cost. However, I can't use it the way it is with these tiny thumbnails. I'll shoot 300 to 400 images at an event. Sorting through this many photos with a magnifying glass is a nonstater for me. Otherwise it a fine product.
Thanks.