Adobe Lightroom - External Editing and Saving

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-02-18 01:40:08

I set Adobe Lightroom to open externally edited files into Pixelmator Pro. If I select a JPG in lightroom and choose "edit in Pixelmator pro" I choose to 'edit a copy' which creates a stack image in Lightroom on the original image.

So the image opens in Pixelmator and I make edits. I am now ready to quick save and choose "command+S" to save. I simply want Pixelmator to save the source file that now exists. Instead it prompts me with the 'save dialog' and I have to navigate to a deeply nested folder to save this image over what already exists.

Am I missing something? I want to make quick Pixelmator edits, and save and get on my way.

2020-02-18 14:10:13

Could you try turning off the Import JPEG, PNG, and TIFF images option option in Pixelmator Pro > Preferences > General? I think this should make everything function as expected.

2020-02-18 14:17:45

Thanks I will give this a try. if I turn this off is there anything else I should expect about other functionality being missing?

2020-02-18 14:30:51

I should've mentioned — this will also turn off autosaving and the native version control for all documents (due to a technical limitation). But if your workflow is based around opening the images directly from Lightroom and not saving versions of them in the Pixelmator Pro (PXD) format, I guess you weren't really using the functionality?

2021-04-30 02:16:56

by Andrius 2020-02-18 19:10:13 Could you try turning off the Import JPEG, PNG, and TIFF images option option in Pixelmator Pro > Preferences > General? I think this should make everything function as expected.
by Andrius 2020-02-18 19:30:51 I should've mentioned — this will also turn off autosaving and the native version control for all documents (due to a technical limitation). But if your workflow is based around opening the images directly from Lightroom and not saving versions of them in the Pixelmator Pro (PXD) format, I guess you weren't really using the functionality?
jpeg,tiff,png setting is unchecked. Running version 11.2.3. Round trip from Lightroom to Pixelmator to Lightroom stopped working. I tried to uninstall and reinstall Pixelmator and it still does not work properly. When I hit CMD S I get a message that the document cannot be saved.I believe even though the box is unchecked Pixelmator is still creating a PXD document.

2021-04-30 10:17:04

by Carl Meisel 2021-04-29 23:16:56 jpeg,tiff,png setting is unchecked. Running version 11.2.3. Round trip from Lightroom to Pixelmator to Lightroom stopped working. I tried to uninstall and reinstall Pixelmator and it still does not work properly. When I hit CMD S I get a message that the document cannot be saved.I believe even though the box is unchecked Pixelmator is still creating a PXD document.
I can't really think of a scenario where with the Import JPEG, PNG, and TIFF images option turned off, Pixelmator Pro would covertly convert the document to a PXD. Upon saving, Pixelmator Pro should explicitly ask whether you want to overwrite your original image or save the image as a PXD document. It'd be interesting to learn a little bit more about your Pixelmator Pro — Lightroom workflow. Perhaps there's something else going wrong here. :thinking: