Working with layer masks

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-09-14 23:09:20

When I add a mask to a layer, it seems to always be a white (reveal all) mask. Is it possible to add a black (conceal all) mask? Sometimes, you only want to paint in a change to a small area and it's much easier/faster to paint white onto a black mask to reveal the underlying adjustment.

2018-09-15 00:02:56

Hi Alan.

There are two things that spring to mind.

Thing One: Selections
If you have a selection active when you add a mask, the mask will take the shape of the selection. So if you select a tiny little area before you add the mask you'll get a mostly black mask. Alternatively if you use one of the selection tools to select the bit you want visible and then add the mask, the mask will be created exactly as you need it with little or no further work required.

Thing Two: Keyboard Shortcuts
d = set to default colours (default foreground is black)
⌘+← (command+delete) = fill layer with foreground colour
So, if you add a mask and, while the mask still has focus, hit d followed ⌘+←, you will end up with a black mask.

Hope this helps.

- Stef.

2018-09-15 05:52:18

The Command-I keyboard shortcut will also invert a white mask into a black one. :ok_hand:

2018-09-15 07:02:02

The Command-I keyboard shortcut will also invert a white mask into a black one. 👌
Yeah... that works... um... better. :flushed:

2018-09-15 15:09:34

Thanks, everyone, for the help. I would have sworn that I tried Command>I because that's what I expected the keyboard shortcut to be; must have been dreaming. ;)