Export for Web?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-05-31 22:46:47

How does one create a custom scale for this new feature, just having 0.50X, 1X, and 2X does not cut it for me. I need to be able to say I want the image exported to a specific width as well. But at the very least allow me to create a custom scale that would result in the same thing.

Maybe this ability is there but I certainly cannot find it.

2018-06-01 00:25:58

I agree. Having 2x and 3x is great, but only if you're editing a vector. If I'm editing a 2x resolution file and I want to save a 1x and 2x, the docs say I have to export a 1x and a 0.5x. Fine, but changing the suffix doesn't seem to save. And if I'm editing a 3x, I guess I'm out of luck as you said because there's no 0.33x.

2018-06-01 02:12:19

To me it looks like what they intend for us to do is make the size of the image we are working on match up to possible choices. So what I did was setup my image size at 2400px width so that would give me the 1X and the 0.5X would give me the 1200px width I normally use. Seems a little strange to force this on us but it was the only solution I could see.

I prefer to leave the images at the size generated by the camera and then when I export I scale them down to what I need, but having a fixed set of scaling options does not allow for that type of work flow. Plus I just don't think in terms of scaling I prefer to think in terms of the size I need.

Guess I'm weird!

2018-06-01 02:58:05

For what you're doing, you just need to resize the image to 1200 (or whatever) and export for web at 1x. This will give you the size you want with the web optimizations. These 0.5x, 2x, and 3x are for creating multiple copies that are used for high DPI screens. If you aren't creating these extra copies, just use 1x.

2018-06-07 08:49:01

I got same problem too.

2019-11-01 08:55:35

I agree, there should be an option so I can work with the 3x image as a default and then scale that down to 2x and 1x.

2019-11-01 09:42:57

Thanks for the reminders about this — this is on our feature request list, just need to find the time to address it in the best way. :ok_hand:

2019-11-02 07:40:19

Well, I have been waiting for an Export resizing feature for some time now, to be able to get rid of APS; two boxes with W and H dimensions so one can resize an image as adequate as possible. At Export of course, the original should stay the same size. I use this all the time, it's very useful indeed, pinpointing to the need at hand.

I was on the brink of (also) purchasing Pro when I read the above, however, for now I will struggle on with APS on an old machine.
Happy coding Andrius! I will check back regularly (-:

2019-11-13 18:03:07

by Andrius 2019-11-01 09:42:57 Thanks for the reminders about this — this is on our feature request list, just need to find the time to address it in the best way. :ok_hand:
Thanks, Andrius.

Top request from a longtime PS user.

2020-02-03 14:20:07

by Andrius 2019-11-01 08:42:57 Thanks for the reminders about this — this is on our feature request list, just need to find the time to address it in the best way. :ok_hand:
Also looking forward to having this. Use it every day and the workflow as it is now is not very smooth.

2020-02-04 16:31:30

by buster
Also looking forward to having this. Use it every day and the workflow as it is now is not very smooth.
Noted! :pray:

2020-02-18 01:45:15

Also hoping for more robust features in export - for example, exporting at specific sizes (pixel width/height) and building in save directory/destinations in the presets, etc

2020-02-18 14:20:55

by davidmacvicar 2020-02-18 01:45:15 Also hoping for more robust features in export - for example, exporting at specific sizes (pixel width/height) and building in save directory/destinations in the presets, etc
Interesting point re. the save destinations — that's probably on the edge of what we'd consider adding to Pixelmator Pro as we prefer to err on the side of simplicity but a feature like this could be pretty useful. We'll keep it mind.

2021-01-22 16:58:13

I want to export my favicon at various resolutions; e.g. 16x16, 32x32, 64x64.

Being able to specify a particular output height and width would be useful. Would the Pixelmator Pro Pollsters please register my request?

I'm open to other ways to accomplish the same thing, as well as other ways to do something better. Any suggestions?

Also, at present, what is the recommended workflow for favicon creation? I don't get any useful results when I search El Goog Le Goog with the site-specific search; e.g. "site:www.pixelmator.com/community favicon"

2021-01-25 09:28:09

I want to export my favicon at various resolutions; e.g. 16x16, 32x32, 64x64.

Being able to specify a particular output height and width would be useful.
We've recently added AppleScript support to Pixelmator Pro, so if you're handy with scripts, you could build some of your own export presets with export settings including the size, resolution, compression, and type of images.

We don't really have a tutorial on making favicons specifically but we can definitely keep it in mind if a guide like that would be helpful.