.ai or .eps files??

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-01-27 00:28:26

I could have sworn that I saw that Pixelmator now is supposed to work with vector files. Either .eps or .ai?? Was I mistaken? If not - HOW??? I've tried to open them or copy them over and not having luck.

2018-01-29 16:08:20

Pixelmator and Pixelmator pro support vectors but that's only inside the app. Pixelmator (Pro) cannot import and export vector file formats.

2018-03-21 14:27:45

Pam is right, I have Pixelmator 1.6.7 (nucleus) installed on an old Mac and it opens .eps files. I have just purchased and installed Pixelmator Pro on a new Mac and it doesn't anymore... not sure how this qualifies as an upgrade !

2018-06-10 19:17:23

Same problem here. I wanted to import an EPS file and nothing happened :(

2018-06-12 09:51:08

by ShenMue3 2018-06-10 19:17:23 Same problem here. I wanted to import an EPS file and nothing happened :(
Pixelmator Pro now has SVG support, so you can try to convert your EPS file to an SVG file in order to open it. There are online services that should let you do this for free if you'd like to give that a try.

2020-05-12 22:48:26

by Sebastiaan 2018-01-29 15:08:20 Pixelmator and Pixelmator pro support vectors but that's only inside the app. Pixelmator (Pro) cannot import and export vector file formats.
I really appreciate how Pixelmator is developed but is there any sense in making vectormator if we are not able to export vector files? Can anyone explain it to me?

2020-05-13 14:55:33

by AdrianSati 2020-05-12 22:48:26
I really appreciate how Pixelmator is developed but is there any sense in making vectormator if we are not able to export vector files? Can anyone explain it to me?
We aren't currently working on a Vectormator app although we are working on improving the vector tools in Pixelmator Pro. AI is a proprietary document format, so supporting it fully is impossible and while supporting it partially is possible, it would be a very big project and most people wouldn't be suprt happy with partial support. EPS is also a proprietary format, but it is publicly documented so, in theory, eventually adding support for it is more within the realms of possibility. But the biggest roadblock is that we need to keep working on our vector tools themselves to even make supporting these formats worthwhile. What's the point of opening complex vector files if you don't support the features within them?

Although it does have a set of powerful vector tools, Pixelmator Pro is mainly a raster editor so it probably won't ever have all the features that vector editors do. But there are lots of great improvements to the vectors tools that we could add and we plan to do so! For now, that's probably more important than being able to open certain vector formats.