Major update adds AI-powered background removal to Pixelmator Pro

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2021-11-23 13:52:51

Not even a full month since our last major update, we’re brining you another huge update with some truly amazing new features. Pixelmator Pro 2.3 – codenamed Abracadabra (because it’s totally magical) – brings a new automatic background removal feature, automatic subject selection, a new Select and Mask tool, and more. Not just that, starting today, Pixelmator Pro is also going on sale for 50% off!

Read the full blog post here.

2021-11-23 14:30:55

My mind is absolutely blown! Pixelmator Pro is by far the best software investment I've ever made. Thank you to the entire team for every incredible update. You all are fantastic.

2021-11-23 14:53:49

by Harris 2021-11-23 11:31:23 My mind is absolutely blown! Pixelmator Pro is by far the best software investment I've ever made. Thank you to the entire team for every incredible update. You all are fantastic.
Well isn't that the nicest thing I've heard all month!

2021-11-23 15:01:00

by Andrius 2021-11-23 14:54:39
Well isn't that the nicest thing I've heard all month!
pixelmator photo什么时候更新呢?

2021-11-23 15:16:22

Good morning! Any chance this might come to Pixelmator photo on the iPad? 😀

2021-11-23 15:19:19

by 294790756@qq.com 2021-11-23 12:01:15 pixelmator photo什么时候更新呢?
We're planning to release a big update before the end of the year. If all goes to plan!
by Yan dawg 2021-11-23 12:17:31 Good morning! Any chance this might come to Pixelmator photo on the iPad? 😀
Pixelmator Photo doesn't support transparency and isn't a layer-based editor, so we couldn't just plug this in without some major workflow and architectural changes. But it will come to Pixelmator for iOS in the future!

2021-11-23 16:25:10

.... and silently you dropped macOS 10.14 Mojave support...

2021-11-23 16:37:13

I could’ve sworn I feature requested these things a few months ago! (Not that I’m taking credit for this amazing achievement.)

It is an amazing achievement! Excited to test it out!

2021-11-23 16:43:51

by mac zeug 2021-11-23 13:25:58 .... and silently you dropped macOS 10.14 Mojave support...
Generally speaking, we tend to support three versions of macOS at a time. Seeing as we try to use native Apple frameworks as much as possible, bringing the same features to older versions of macOS (where new frameworks often aren't available) is very time consuming and sometimes even impossible.
by Zenith22 2021-11-23 13:42:18 I could’ve sworn I feature requested these things a few months ago! (Not that I’m taking credit for this amazing achievement.)

It is an amazing achievement! Excited to test it out!
Yeah, it's been in the works for about 12 months, these things take time.

2021-11-23 17:08:18

🤯

There... that is my reply.

2021-11-23 17:17:47

by Roland 2021-11-23 14:08:38 🤯

There... that is my reply.

2021-11-23 17:41:29

Initial testing suggests that this feature works great. I was blown away the first time I tried it. When you zoom in it really is hard to believe a computer figured it out. All the better that is works locally using cutting edge hardware and not a server. Fantastic.

2021-11-23 18:08:32

by Zenith22 2021-11-23 14:42:24 Initial testing suggests that this feature works great. I was blown away the first time I tried it. When you zoom in it really is hard to believe a computer figured it out. All the better that is works locally using cutting edge hardware and not a server. Fantastic.

Machine learning is pretty magical!

2021-11-23 18:51:00

Fantastic news! This was my last major hurdle to keep using Photoshop. I guess this also paves the way for automatic sky replacements in another update?

2021-11-23 18:52:51

Why I cannot see such buttons on my Pixelmator Pro 2.3 Abracadabra?

I am on macOs Catalina

2021-11-23 19:00:17

by Fabio 2021-11-23 18:53:36 Why I cannot see such buttons on my Pixelmator Pro 2.3 Abracadabra?

I am on macOs Catalina
Try customizing the toolbar. The toolbar is the set of icons directly in line with the stoplight macOS buttons. Secondary click that bar to customize the icons and drag the new icon there.

2021-11-23 19:16:40

Oops, looks like the page was a bit rushed.
- "look at "brining" in the first paragraph
- and the text "the mask is a already pretty accurate" further down
(Hope you're moderating comments, no need for this to be posted for everyone)

2021-11-23 20:25:16

by Allen B 2021-11-23 17:16:40 Oops, looks like the page was a bit rushed.
- "look at "brining" in the first paragraph
- and the text "the mask is a already pretty accurate" further down
(Hope you're moderating comments, no need for this to be posted for everyone)
Ah, beans. Well, the world has seen my shameful typos, no use hiding it.

Just kidding, thanks for the heads-up, will need to do a better job proof-reading next time!

2021-11-23 20:28:42

Heads up: You guys linked to the same YouTube video twice ("One-Click Background Removal – Pixelmator Pro Tutorial") under both Magic Background Eraser and Select and Mask Tool.

2021-11-23 20:35:39

I literally asked for ML background removal less than a month ago! That's the fastest developing I've seen in a long time 😂. This looks good, Just waiting for it to download from the App Store......

2021-11-23 21:49:40

A few key features that really count. Thanks & keep it up!

2021-11-24 07:03:26

by Andrius
We're planning to release a big update before the end of the year. If all goes to plan!

Pixelmator Photo doesn't support transparency and isn't a layer-based editor, so we couldn't just plug this in without some major workflow and architectural changes. But it will come to Pixelmator for iOS in the future!
Aah.. here’s me wishing for local adjustments in the next update

I have given other apps a try. I even found a Chinese app called Pixelsense that has very powerful masking features, along with brush, gradient, round, color, and luminance masking.. but alas.. the very basic controls to edit a RAW image (exposure, etc) don’t give the result I have come to expect from apps like Lightroom or Pixelmator Photo. I can’t explain it, it just doesn’t feel natural.

So.. after playing around with Pixelsense for a few hours I fired up Pixelmator Photo. What a difference. Huge. Pixelmator just feels polished. It’s just lacking my most desired feature: local editing, masks.

I was willing to pay $40 bucks (perpetual license) for Pixelsense if it was what I wanted. It was not. So after spending $2.00 for 1 month subscription to test it, I can say I’m back to Lightroom. I don’t want to use Lr. I don’t want a subscription. I want Pixelmator Photo with masks, and I’m willing to pay those $40 dollars or so to Pixelmator developers, really, I just need a full blown and polished photo developing app that won’t be bleeding me each month with a subscription.

Sorry for the long post

2021-11-24 07:20:46

By the way, Pixelmator Pro looks great, that background removal looks amazing. I’d like to see it on the iPad. I do have a Mac, but I tend to work more and more with the iPad. I guess it will come later. My priority is to find a complete RAW app like Pixelmator Photo with masks, but I think I’m going to get Pixelmator Pro for my Mac in the mean time. Looks great, a good complement to Affinity Photo which I use all the time.

2021-11-24 08:37:49

by kitejuice Heads up: You guys linked to the same YouTube video twice ("One-Click Background Removal – Pixelmator Pro Tutorial") under both Magic Background Eraser and Select and Mask Tool.

by Tali I literally asked for ML background removal less than a month ago! That's the fastest developing I've seen in a long time 😂. This looks good, Just waiting for it to download from the App Store......
Hope you were able to download it eventually and try it out!
by Cantisani 2021-11-24 05:03:26
Aah.. here’s me wishing for local adjustments in the next update

I have given other apps a try. I even found a Chinese app called Pixelsense that has very powerful masking features, along with brush, gradient, round, color, and luminance masking.. but alas.. the very basic controls to edit a RAW image (exposure, etc) don’t give the result I have come to expect from apps like Lightroom or Pixelmator Photo. I can’t explain it, it just doesn’t feel natural.

So.. after playing around with Pixelsense for a few hours I fired up Pixelmator Photo. What a difference. Huge. Pixelmator just feels polished. It’s just lacking my most desired feature: local editing, masks.

I was willing to pay $40 bucks (perpetual license) for Pixelsense if it was what I wanted. It was not. So after spending $2.00 for 1 month subscription to test it, I can say I’m back to Lightroom. I don’t want to use Lr. I don’t want a subscription. I want Pixelmator Photo with masks, and I’m willing to pay those $40 dollars or so to Pixelmator developers, really, I just need a full blown and polished photo developing app that won’t be bleeding me each month with a subscription.

Sorry for the long post
We're planning to create/release Pixelmator Photo both for iPhone and Mac and, eventually, add local adjustments to it.
by Cantisani 2021-11-24 05:20:46 By the way, Pixelmator Pro looks great, that background removal looks amazing. I’d like to see it on the iPad. I do have a Mac, but I tend to work more and more with the iPad. I guess it will come later. My priority is to find a complete RAW app like Pixelmator Photo with masks, but I think I’m going to get Pixelmator Pro for my Mac in the mean time. Looks great, a good complement to Affinity Photo which I use all the time.
Yep, the dream is for all our apps to be available on Mac, iPhone, and iPad – but the key word here is eventually!

2021-11-24 09:00:09

Hi Andrius, it’s good to hear Pixelmator Photo is coming to the Mac, I will be buying it for sure. It would be great to be able to process my photos with both the iPad and the iMac.

It may be my photography style perhaps, but it’s just that local adjustments seem so important to me. I shoot portraits and weddings.
When I’m editing a series of photos many of them won’t need local adjustments, but some of them do and I can’t see myself breaking my workflow to load a different app for this. I guess patience is the name of the game, I hope it comes soon.

Thanks for your response.