Pixelmator Photo major update brings ML Super Resolution to iPad

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2020-09-15 11:34:32

“Zoom… Enhance!” is now on iPad. Yes, Pixelmator Photo 1.4 is out today, introducing the incredible ML Super Resolution feature, so your iPad can now enlarge photos while preserving sharpness and enhancing details using state-of-the-art machine learning techniques.

Read the full blog post here.

2020-09-15 16:19:10

太棒了,如果iCloud可以同步备份滤镜就更棒了,同时也很期待Lut的导入导出,以及清晰度和局部编辑的加入。

2020-09-16 00:02:57

Good to hear for people who use that app! Looks really cool! but will this come to normal Pixelmator for iPad? For those of us who need the more full featured layer based editor to accomplish our projects? The “photos” version seems to be going strong but it’s not even the same animal as the normal Pixelmator which is still very buggy and slow since the big spring 2020 update. and despite it being such a big interface change - no new features were actually added. Any news in when the ML resolution feature might be coming to the other app? Or is it being phased out?

2020-09-16 01:42:57

I have spent the afternoon processing my older family photos through the new Super Resolution feature and it's like I'm seeing them for the first time. Thank you for bringing this feature to iPad.

2020-09-16 06:18:22

Andrius, that must be you in the Apple Event video at 55:24? :smile: Well done for getting yourself and Photo selected to be featured!

2020-09-16 11:27:42

Nice Andrius :grinning:

2020-09-17 01:27:50

This super-resolution functionality doesn't do anything and is extremely slow. Have you even tested it before releasing?

2020-09-17 15:49:05

by Ben Hermes Good to hear for people who use that app! Looks really cool! but will this come to normal Pixelmator for iPad? For those of us who need the more full featured layer based editor to accomplish our projects? The “photos” version seems to be going strong but it’s not even the same animal as the normal Pixelmator which is still very buggy and slow since the big spring 2020 update. and despite it being such a big interface change - no new features were actually added. Any news in when the ML resolution feature might be coming to the other app? Or is it being phased out?
We'd love to bring this to the regular Pixelmator, too, for sure. There are a few challenges to doing so, but it's in our plans. We're also planning to release some bigger updates to Pixelmator for iOS and first up is iOS 14 support along with Magic Keyboard (in other words, keyboard + mouse) support. So it's not being phased out at all and updates should start ramping up soon.
by J M I have spent the afternoon processing my older family photos through the new Super Resolution feature and it's like I'm seeing them for the first time. Thank you for bringing this feature to iPad.
Oh, that's so awesome! :raised_hands:
by simonmgc Andrius, that must be you in the Apple Event video at 55:24? :smile: Well done for getting yourself and Photo selected to be featured!
Thank you, thank you! Needless to say, it was 100% a team effort and I was lucky enough to be the face/voice of it, all the credits should absolutely go to our incredible dev team, who are actually the brains behind the operation.
by Jeroen Nice Andrius :grinning:
:muscle:
by Yuka W 2020-09-17 01:27:50 This super-resolution functionality doesn't do anything and is extremely slow. Have you even tested it before releasing?
It may be slower on older devices, specifically ones without a dedicated Apple Neural Engine. We didn't want to limit it from those devices, though. Which iPad are you trying this feature on and how large are the photos you're upscaling?

2020-09-19 23:50:50

All I need is your amazing selection tool like on Pixelmator pro support, layers, and Apple Pencil local adjustments and bye bye adobe.

2020-09-21 07:58:59

by Rohan All I need is your amazing selection tool like on Pixelmator pro support, layers, and Apple Pencil local adjustments and bye bye adobe.
Is that all? :smile:

Just kidding, local adjustments with Apple Pencil is something we'd like to add, the selection tools probably as well — I'm just not sure about layers in the same way as Pixelmator Pro because Pixelmator Photo isn't quite that kind of app.

2020-09-21 14:56:39

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

2020-09-25 00:09:08

Is it the same model as in Pixelmator Pro? Is it a CoreML or a Tensorflow Lite model?

2020-09-25 01:37:30

by Andrius 2020-09-21 11:58:59
Is that all? :smile:

Just kidding, local adjustments with Apple Pencil is something we'd like to add, the selection tools probably as well — I'm just not sure about layers in the same way as Pixelmator Pro because Pixelmator Photo isn't quite that kind of app.
The layers part isn’t that important. But the selection tool and Apple Pencil adjustments are really all I need.

2021-11-28 20:15:06

by Andrius 2020-09-15 16:34:32 “Zoom… Enhance!” is now on iPad. Yes, Pixelmator Photo 1.4 is out today, introducing the incredible ML Super Resolution feature, so your iPad can now enlarge photos while preserving sharpness and enhancing details using state-of-the-art machine learning techniques.

Read the full blog post here.
MLSResolution is a great tool, especially older photos and others that need retouching.

QUESTION: If applying MLSR to a photo makes it less desirable, is there any reason to keep the application active on the photo?

If you kept it activated on the photo would have to edit back to original.

2021-11-30 08:15:29

by Bob Young 2021-11-28 18:15:06 MLSResolution is a great tool, especially older photos and others that need retouching.

QUESTION: If applying MLSR to a photo makes it less desirable, is there any reason to keep the application active on the photo?

If you kept it activated on the photo would have to edit back to original.
Hey Bob. I'm not sure I completely understand your question. Makes it less desirable how?

2021-11-30 17:55:31

I have done some studying since. Sometimes applying the MLSR wand creates a less desirable looking image. However applying MLSR enhance to the image would create a more editable image using separate enhancements.

Am I understanding MLSR correctly.
by Aurelija 2021-11-30 14:15:29
Hey Bob. I'm not sure I completely understand your question. Makes it less desirable how?

2021-12-01 08:48:13

by Bob Young I have done some studying since. Sometimes applying the MLSR wand creates a less desirable looking image. However applying MLSR enhance to the image would create a more editable image using separate enhancements.

Am I understanding MLSR correctly.
These ML tools are really meant for two separate purposes: ML Enhance for automatically improving image colors, and ML Super Resolution for scaling up images while keeping them sharp and detailed. They can be used together or separately — everything depends on the image itself.

2021-12-01 15:14:49

by Aurelija 2021-12-01 00:48:13
These ML tools are really meant for two separate purposes: ML Enhance for automatically improving image colors, and ML Super Resolution for scaling up images while keeping them sharp and detailed. They can be used together or separately — everything depends on the image itself.
新年即将到来,请问可以参加2.0的内测了吗?还是说可以直接发布了?

2021-12-01 19:20:08

Thanks for the reply I understanding what you are saying. Been doing hands on and studying.

2021-12-03 11:20:48

by 294790756@qq.com 2021-12-01 13:14:49 新年即将到来,请问可以参加2.0的内测了吗?还是说可以直接发布了?
We're not testing Pixelmator Photo publicly yet but if you'd drop us a line at support@pixelmator.com, we could add you to our list of testers and you'll be notified when a build for testing becomes available (can't promise that we'll have one for Pixelmator Photo 2.0, though).
by Bob Young 2021-12-01 17:20:08 Thanks for the reply I understanding what you are saying. Been doing hands on and studying.
Great! If you have any other questions, feel free to share them here or email us directly. We'll do our best to help!

2021-12-03 14:09:58

by Aurelija 2021-12-03 03:20:48
We're not testing Pixelmator Photo publicly yet but if you'd drop us a line at support@pixelmator.com, we could add you to our list of testers and you'll be notified when a build for testing becomes available (can't promise that we'll have one for Pixelmator Photo 2.0, though).

Great! If you have any other questions, feel free to share them here or email us directly. We'll do our best to help!
我每天都在反复点击论坛,想知道2.0的到来,可以告知一下会有什么重要的更新吗?我知道可能会有luts,ml降噪,还会有其他的吗?

2021-12-06 09:00:44

by 294790756@qq.com 2021-12-03 12:09:58 我每天都在反复点击论坛,想知道2.0的到来,可以告知一下会有什么重要的更新吗?我知道可能会有luts,ml降噪,还会有其他的吗?
And we're super stoked to have active members like yourself here on the forum! Sadly, I can't reveal a lot about the update will bring other than what has been made public already — support for iPhone devices and ML Denoise. But it shouldn't be too long before you can have a go at Pixelmator Photo 2.0 yourself. The team is making some final adjustments and will be wrapping up the update in a few weeks' time. :raised_hands:

2021-12-14 10:50:22

by Aurelija 2021-12-06 01:00:44
And we're super stoked to have active members like yourself here on the forum! Sadly, I can't reveal a lot about the update will bring other than what has been made public already — support for iPhone devices and ML Denoise. But it shouldn't be too long before you can have a go at Pixelmator Photo 2.0 yourself. The team is making some final adjustments and will be wrapping up the update in a few weeks' time. :raised_hands:
一周又悄悄溜走了

2021-12-17 16:28:02

by 294790756@qq.com 2021-12-14 08:50:22 一周又悄悄溜走了
Haha, it did. Hope you like it!