First major Pixelmator Photo update out now

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2019-10-01 16:23:27

The Pixelmator Photo 1.1 major update is here! And it really is a big one. We’ve added full compatibility with iPadOS 13, full-featured batch editing, an all-new and improved workflow, export resizing, and some smaller improvements and fixes. Image
ImageiPadOS 13. Everything seems really cool in its own right so it’s difficult to pick just one headline feature but let’s start with iPadOS. iPad OS 13 support is a very big part of this update and with our Files-based design, you can now take full advantage of support for external drives and new external locations.
ImageBatch Editing. Batch editing is huge! We’ve brought a really full-featured batch editing experience to iPad that’s, let’s face it, even better than what we currently have on the Mac with Pixelmator Pro. A lot of that is down to Pixelmator Photo being a dedicated photo editor, of course, but it’s amazing to see all the incredible machine learning features now being available for batch editing on iPad.
ImageAll-New Workflow. The one new feature that might not be as flashy but will directly affect every single current and future Pixelmator Photo user is the all-new workflow and direct integration with your iCloud Photos library. Gone are the days of having to import photos and manage separate Pixelmator Photo files, everything is now simple and intuitive.
If you’re editing in your Photos library, edits are automatically saved to the same images you open. Nondestructive edits are preserved too! And if you’re editing in Files, Pixelmator Photo does some magic to save changes back to the same image while preserving nondestructive edits in a linked file.
ImageExport Sizes. Finally, we’ve also added the ability to export images at different sizes, which is a nice little extra that we found time to squeeze in between all the other huge things and foundational changes to Pixelmator Photo.

Download Now

We really hope you’ll enjoy the update and we can’t wait to surprise you with more awesomeness in the future. Until next time!

2019-10-01 19:41:25

The workflow changes sound pretty flashy to me. :wink:

2019-10-01 20:29:45

by r0b 2019-10-01 16:42:36 The workflow changes sound pretty flashy to me. :wink:
We love to hear it!

2019-10-02 19:17:53

The new workflow is so much better. Thank you for listening to the feedback on v1.0 and doing this!

Now I’m hoping for awesome ML driven denoising in the next release :-) Would love an iPad based alternative to Topaz AI tools that are only usable on the desktop, and don’t fit into the workflow.

2019-10-03 10:05:40

by Ben Christensen The new workflow is so much better. Thank you for listening to the feedback on v1.0 and doing this!

Now I’m hoping for awesome ML driven denoising in the next release :-) Would love an iPad based alternative to Topaz AI tools that are only usable on the desktop, and don’t fit into the workflow.
We're working on it! Although there's a reason why there aren't really many solutions out there — it's super hard. ML Denoise v1 is currently in beta with Pixelmator Pro 1.5, so if you'd like to check it out and give us some feedback, you can sign up for the beta here.

2019-10-04 13:29:41

We're working on it! Although there's a reason why there aren't really many solutions out there — it's super hard. ML Denoise v1 is currently in beta with Pixelmator Pro 1.5, so if you'd like to check it out and give us some feedback, you can sign up for the beta here.
Thank you. I’ve registered. And yes, I can imagine it’s hard. It must be particularly challenging to get a sufficiently large and high quality training set for the ML.

2019-10-06 16:23:38

I would love to see that the Pixelmator team is putting much more love in the iPhone version of Pixelmator. The iPhone is the device I shoot my photo's on so why can't I get al these new ML features on my iPhone Pixelmator version? IMHO iPhone is still the most used Apple device for most people.

I was a little dissapointed once I tried the iPad version of Pixelmator Photo. It complete lacks the layer editing structure I still have on my iPhone and Mac. And because the default photo editing functions on iOS are getting much better anyway, I hope the Pixelmator Photo is not getting sherlocked on iOS.

Please, please get these nice features to the iPhone also. I just want one piece of photo editing software on my iPhone which does things the default iPhone photo editor doesn't (meaning ML, layer, filter and text functions).

You did a Wonderfull job on the Mac though with Pixelmator Pro (love it)!

2019-10-07 08:38:52

by Jan Erik I would love to see that the Pixelmator team is putting much more love in the iPhone version of Pixelmator. The iPhone is the device I shoot my photo's on so why can't I get al these new ML features on my iPhone Pixelmator version? IMHO iPhone is still the most used Apple device for most people.

I was a little dissapointed once I tried the iPad version of Pixelmator Photo. It complete lacks the layer editing structure I still have on my iPhone and Mac. And because the default photo editing functions on iOS are getting much better anyway, I hope the Pixelmator Photo is not getting sherlocked on iOS.

Please, please get these nice features to the iPhone also. I just want one piece of photo editing software on my iPhone which does things the default iPhone photo editor doesn't (meaning ML, layer, filter and text functions).

You did a Wonderfull job on the Mac though with Pixelmator Pro (love it)!
Interestingly enough, most of our users actually use Pixelmator for iOS on iPad rather than iPhone. In any case, we've got plans to bring Pixelmator Photo to iPhone and we're also planning to bring some updates to the original Pixelmator for iOS as well.

P.S. Glad to hear you're a fan of Pixelmator Pro! :pray:

2019-10-08 08:57:31

by Andrius
Interestingly enough, most of our users actually use Pixelmator for iOS on iPad rather than iPhone. In any case, we've got plans to bring Pixelmator Photo to iPhone and we're also planning to bring some updates to the original Pixelmator for iOS as well.

P.S. Glad to hear you're a fan of Pixelmator Pro! :pray:
Andrius,

Tnx for You're update... I'll wait patiently :smiley:

2019-10-10 19:56:25

All these enhancements to Pixelmator Photo sound great and I’m excited to check them out.

I’m also an everyday user of Pixelmator for iOS on my iPad Pro 11. Will we see an iOS 13 compatibility release soon along with some new enhancements?

2019-10-11 08:47:51

by Rick Castillo All these enhancements to Pixelmator Photo sound great and I’m excited to check them out.

I’m also an everyday user of Pixelmator for iOS on my iPad Pro 11. Will we see an iOS 13 compatibility release soon along with some new enhancements?
We are planning a more substantial update to Pixelmator for iOS — right now, it's more in the planning stage but you may see something yet this year or early next year.

2019-10-16 13:12:56

I'm currently using a competitor's product on my iPad Pro but would love to make a full switch to Pixelmator Photo based on several reviews I've read/watched online. From what I've seen, there's one major feature missing from Pixelmator Photo that is holding me back from making the switch though.. Regional Editing / Adjustment Brushes. The current app I'm using has this on both their Mac and iPad version of the app and I use it on every photo. I can't see myself switching to an app without it! Do you have any plans to add a similar feature to Pixelmator Photo for iPad? If so, any idea when? Regardless, I love to see all of the excellent work you guys are putting in to support the future of computing with iPad! Thank you!

2019-10-16 13:53:43

by Chris Gaffka 2019-10-16 10:13:30 I'm currently using a competitor's product on my iPad Pro but would love to make a full switch to Pixelmator Photo based on several reviews I've read/watched online. From what I've seen, there's one major feature missing from Pixelmator Photo that is holding me back from making the switch though.. Regional Editing / Adjustment Brushes. The current app I'm using has this on both their Mac and iPad version of the app and I use it on every photo. I can't see myself switching to an app without it! Do you have any plans to add a similar feature to Pixelmator Photo for iPad? If so, any idea when? Regardless, I love to see all of the excellent work you guys are putting in to support the future of computing with iPad! Thank you!
That's completely understandable and we would, of course, love to add local adjustments to Pixelmator Photo. I wouldn't expect it in the very near future as we're working on a few other things but it's a big priority for the app for sure!