Pixelmator Pro updated with new Core ML-powered ML Match Colors feature

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2019-05-14 11:34:55

Hello, everyone! Today is no ordinary Tuesday — in our quest to create the most intelligent and advanced image editor in the world, we’ve added another incredibly cool, machine learning-powered feature to Pixelmator Pro. The feature is called ML Match Colors and it matches the colors of different photos using breakthrough machine learning. To see just a little of what it can do, check out the ML Match Colors film below.

Awesome, isn’t it? ML Match Colors does this magic by fine-tuning 37 different color adjustments, including things like Exposure, Shadows, Highlights, individual color ranges, and more. So it matches both colors and lighting! And it’s so easy to use. Just drag and drop any photo onto the Color Adjustments pane to match its colors. Fun fact: this feature is powered by the same machine learning algorithm we created for ML Enhance, so it has been trained on 20 million professional photos.

In addition, ML Match Colors is available in the Edit menu as Paste and ML Match Colors, so whenever you paste an object, you can automatically match its colors to the new image. If you’d like to see that in action, take a look at one of our newest Tips & Tricks.

In Pixelmator Pro 1.3.4, we’ve also added a Free Transform tool, which is something quite a few original Pixelmator users were missing in Pixelmator Pro. And just like with every feature from the original Pixelmator, we’ve made it more advanced and more powerful in Pixelmator Pro. For one, we focused on preserving every detail, even in extreme transformations. So the quality of our Free Transform tool is second to none. What’s more, any nondestructive edits applied to layers are preserved after transforming. And layers can be resized using three different image scaling algorithms — Bilinear, Lanczos, or Nearest Neighbor!

This is a free update — as usual — so head on down to the Mac App Store, download the latest version of Pixelmator Pro, and let us know what you think!

Download Now

P.S. As you may or may not know, we’re always working on a few different things at once and I’m happy to announce that a major update to Pixelmator Pro — version 1.4 — is not all that far away. It’s going to be very Photos-oriented but maybe not quite in the way you’d expect. Trust me, it’s super cool and we’re planning to share a little sneak peek in the coming weeks.

2019-05-14 22:03:43

This is so cool! I'm very excited for this update and I appreciate the continual innovation and features you all add to Pixelmator!

Is there any way to use this color match feature on a batch of photos? I'd love to apply a color-match style to a set of photos in my library for instance.

2019-05-15 07:49:35

by Tim Arterbury 2019-05-14 22:03:43 This is so cool! I'm very excited for this update and I appreciate the continual innovation and features you all add to Pixelmator!

Is there any way to use this color match feature on a batch of photos? I'd love to apply a color-match style to a set of photos in my library for instance.
Thanks for the love, Tim! Batch applying ML Match Colors is a great idea, I think we should be able to create an Automator action for this — it's now on the feature request list.

2019-05-22 11:52:24

Cool, thanks!

How about a "copy merged" feature? Seems trivial to implement compared to this sort of thing.

I own Pixelmator & Photoshop and I almost always end up using Photoshop because of that one feature.

2019-05-22 12:09:22

It would be relatively simple to do, you're quite right! It looks like this is also already on the feature request list, so I'll simply add your vote.

Purely out of personal curiosity, in what kind of workflows is this feature particularly useful?

2019-06-28 18:47:28

Was looking for SKEW function ... was running PP 1.3.3 ... looked for an update ... not disappointed! Now in 1.3.4 there's the skew function. I do have Pixelmator too, but was pleasently surprised I don't need to switch apps. Great work guys! 😊 👍👍

2019-07-01 12:59:56

by ag123 2019-06-28 18:47:28 Was looking for SKEW function ... was running PP 1.3.3 ... looked for an update ... not disappointed! Now in 1.3.4 there's the skew function. I do have Pixelmator too, but was pleasently surprised I don't need to switch apps. Great work guys! 😊 👍👍
Hah, that's fantastic! A little lucky too, but is it really luck if we're constantly putting out updates with all kinds of things requested by our diligent users? :grinning: