Major update adds AI-powered background removal to Pixelmator Pro

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2021-11-24 09:06:16

fantastic work, and scriptable too!

2021-11-24 11:55:26

by Cantisani 2021-11-24 07:00:09 Hi Andrius, it’s good to hear Pixelmator Photo is coming to the Mac, I will be buying it for sure. It would be great to be able to process my photos with both the iPad and the iMac.

It may be my photography style perhaps, but it’s just that local adjustments seem so important to me. I shoot portraits and weddings.
When I’m editing a series of photos many of them won’t need local adjustments, but some of them do and I can’t see myself breaking my workflow to load a different app for this. I guess patience is the name of the game, I hope it comes soon.

Thanks for your response.
We totally understand the importance of local adjustments! Technologically speaking, it's a relatively more difficult thing to implement, especially on iOS with the more stringent memory constraints and especially as we've also got nondestructive retouching of RAW photos, so that's one of the reasons why it's not something we've rushed to do just yet. But we do plan to get there.
by jrh 2021-11-24 07:06:16 fantastic work, and scriptable too!
Yep, now that we've got a solid foundation for scripting, adding this stuff is relatively easy. Which is great!

2021-11-24 20:13:22

by Zenith22
Try customizing the toolbar. The toolbar is the set of icons directly in line with the stoplight macOS buttons. Secondary click that bar to customize the icons and drag the new icon there.
Nothing to do here.
All flags are enabled and I have checked all the possible options: new buttons/functionality is not available for me.
I am on intel macbook pro.
What could be wrong?

2021-11-25 09:03:52

Delighted by Pixelmator Pro, that was an instant buy.

Such posts and tutorial videos are extremely helpful, please keep up the great work!

2021-11-25 11:34:30

by Fabio
Nothing to do here.
All flags are enabled and I have checked all the possible options: new buttons/functionality is not available for me.
I am on intel macbook pro.
What could be wrong?
You must be running macOS Catalina on your Mac? The Remove Background toolbar icon is available on macOS Big Sur and later. On macOS Catalina, you can choose Edit > Remove Background or use the Shift + Backspace keyboard shortcut.
by dzhukov 2021-11-25 07:03:52 Delighted by Pixelmator Pro, that was an instant buy.

Such posts and tutorial videos are extremely helpful, please keep up the great work!
Glad to hear you're enjoying Pixelmator Pro and the tutorials, dzhukov. We'll do our best to keep them coming!

2021-11-26 00:33:51

Thank you for the improvements, but I cannot find the new Select Subject feature. The introductory notes tell where the magic Background Eraser and Select and Mask Tool may be found, but not the Subject Select.

2021-11-26 16:14:35

by donnie 2021-11-25 22:33:51 Thank you for the improvements, but I cannot find the new Select Subject feature. The introductory notes tell where the magic Background Eraser and Select and Mask Tool may be found, but not the Subject Select.
Hi Donnie, this tutorial should hopefully help.

2021-11-29 09:01:16

Amazing! The app just gets better and better, had to go photoshop for a project a few weeks ago, it was awful 🤢!

Pixelmator pro <3

2021-11-29 15:50:09

by mazerfaka 2021-11-29 07:01:16 Amazing! The app just gets better and better, had to go photoshop for a project a few weeks ago, it was awful 🤢!

Pixelmator pro <3

2021-12-02 22:15:23

by Andrius 2021-11-24 11:55:26
We totally understand the importance of local adjustments! Technologically speaking, it's a relatively more difficult thing to implement, especially on iOS with the more stringent memory constraints and especially as we've also got nondestructive retouching of RAW photos, so that's one of the reasons why it's not something we've rushed to do just yet. But we do plan to get there.
really great feature but yeah, my vote also goes to bringing out pixelmator pro for ipad. There's quite a few M1 ipad pro's out there with 16G of ram, a great screen and a pen interface that is begging for this level of functionality. that's a lot more powerful than the 2016 macbook I'm using now I know we've got affinity photo and that's highly functional and pretty good, but it's not as easy to use I find as pixelmator is.

keep up the good work

2021-12-03 07:25:00

by Andrius 2021-11-24 17:55:26 We totally understand the importance of local adjustments! Technologically speaking, it's a relatively more difficult thing to implement, especially on iOS with the more stringent memory constraints and especially as we've also got nondestructive retouching of RAW photos, so that's one of the reasons why it's not something we've rushed to do just yet. But we do plan to get there.
Thanks for answering, I don’t mean to highjack this thread about Pixelmator Pro (which I haven’t got yet, I’m planning to buy later) but I’m grateful that the developers listen and respond, so please bear with me or ban me (jk).

Since I’ve tried a different app that supports local adjustments (masks) I have been thinking of what I really need, and it’s not just simple masks like gradients and a brush. What’s really needed is a brush that is capable of differentiating a range of luminosity from another. It wouldn’t be as useful to have a simple “dumb” brush, but one that as I paint, it masks within the luminosity range that I’m painting on and leave out a different range that’s inevitably touched as I paint. That works in Lightroom, but it didn’t work like that in Pixelsense, the app for iPad that I was trying. So, luminosity and color ranges with the brush and eraser are something that will be needed when you guys take on this challenge.

I understand that all of this is probably difficult to implement, as you said, working within the constraints of the devices. I’m using a 2018 iPad Pro with 4GB of RAM, which may not sound like a lot, but I’m convinced that it is very capable of RAM demanding stuff. Apps like LumaFusion, Affinity Photo and Designer and Nomad Sculpt among many others, are proof of the capabilities of these devices, I’m sure you’ll find a way to make it work. I know Lr does this but I also know Adobe has infinitely more resources than a small company, so here we are cheering you guys and waiting for it to happen.

Have a great day!