Working from external drive

Discuss Pixelmator for iOS and mobile image editing.

2020-04-25 07:16:45

Hi everyone!

I’m wondering if it’s possible to work from an external drive with this app. I only got 64gb ipad so that’s hardly enough for all my photo’s. I dislike using lightroom cloud since I already have another cloud based backup system in place.

Lightroom imports the photos to the internal storage of the ipad. Does pixelmator keep the photos and raw’s on the external drive with the new files system?

2020-04-26 14:34:43

With the new Files-based browser, you should be able to keep your files on the eternal drive — you basically choose where to put the files yourself. Have you tried importing images with the new version of Pixelmator for iOS and moving/saving your files on the external drive?

2020-05-04 10:13:31

by Andrius 2020-04-26 12:34:43 With the new Files-based browser, you should be able to keep your files on the eternal drive — you basically choose where to put the files yourself. Have you tried importing images with the new version of Pixelmator for iOS and moving/saving your files on the external drive?
Cool thanks! I didn't because I don't have an SD card reader. I was trying to figure out if it could work before shelling over 35 euro's for the reader from Apple :-P Guess I'm just going to try haha!

2020-05-04 14:25:55

Yeah, as far as we've tested, Pixelmator for iOS now does work with external drives just fine and you can keep your files there. Of course, external storage is slower than the device memory, so you might have to keep that in mind.

Also, just to double-check, as you're looking for a photo editor, have you had a chance to check out Pixelmator Photo? Or is that the app you're asking about? Although you've posted in the Pixelmator for iOS forum after the recent update, I guess our photo editor might be a better solution for you. :wink: