Mouse cursor is not read properly on images that exceed the Pixelmator window size

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2020-05-22 03:24:48

Pixelmator Pro 1.6.3 Magenta (Mac) and the version immediately before that. Earlier versions from the Mac App Store did not have this bug.

Problem:
Pixelmator Pro misreads the location of the mouse cursor whenever an image exceeds the Pixelmator viewport. This includes when the Tools Sidebar is overlaying part of the image. Also occurs when an image is magnified such that part of the magnified image exceeds the PIxelmator window's bounds (i.e. when scrolls bars appear).

How reproduce the bug:

Example 1 of 2: Using the Rectangular Selection tool

1. Load an image
2. Resize the pixelmator window so that part of the image is either beneath the Tools Sidebar or is beyond the bounds of the window viewport (in which case pixelmator's scroll bars will appear).
Note: You may notice the image shift vertically as this the window is resized. This shift may explain the source of the bug.
3. Select the Rectangular Selection tool and place the cursor over an easily identifiable location, such as the corner of an object in an image or the confluence of two shapes.
4. Press and hold the left mouse button to draw out a selection box, moving the mouse to the right and downwards. You should the see the bug occur at this point, with the origin of the box shifting downwards. This shift is not a snap to grid issue.

Example 2 of 2: Using the Clone tool

1. Load image
2. Resize the pixelmator window so that part of the image is either beneath the Tools Sidebar or is beyond the bounds of the window viewport (in which case pixelmator's scroll bars will appear).
Note: You may notice the image shift vertically as this the window is resized. This shift may explain the source of the bug.
3. Select the clone tool
4. Set the the source position by using option+mouse button
5. Move the mouse cursor to a specific, easily identifiable location. You should see a preview of the clone source at the cursor.
6. Press the mouse button once to place a clone of the source position at the cursor. You should see the clone appearing a short distance down the image from where the cursor was located. Again, this is not a snap to grid issue.

So, this screen grab was taken immediately before pressing the left mouse button to clone the source location:

This screen grab was taken immediately after pressing the left mouse button to clone the source location. The cursor remained in the same location throughout. Note the cloned orange dot is not at the cursor, but below it:

Edit: Also noticing the same mouse issue when using the crop tool.

2020-05-22 09:21:25

What a beautifully-written and clear bug report! Awesome stuff, really. It looks like this might be a regression caused by us adding support for always showing the scroll bars. I've passed this on to the devs and we're investigating. :pray:

2020-05-23 00:38:37

Thanks. I used to work in software development many, many years ago. The memories of an end-user saying "It doesn't work! Fix it!", followed by me replying "What were your doing when it stopped working?", only to then be told "Don't know! Can't Remember!". Fun times. :laughing:

Anyway, thanks for passing the report on. Hopefully it'll be a nice easy fix.

Incidentally, I love Pixelmator Pro. I live in hope that one day it'll ported to PC.

2020-05-23 01:01:34

It looks like you're right about it being a bug caused by always on scroll bars. After changing my mac's System Preferences > General > Show scroll bars from "Always on" to "When Scrolling", I performed a quick test using PIxelmator Pro's clone tool. The mouse issues seem to have been banished so far, suggesting that his is a viable temporary workaround. That said, I do feel the loss of those always on scrollbars intensely... I really do.. no even joking :laughing:

2020-05-25 09:31:31

by Urpgor 2020-05-23 00:38:37 Thanks. I used to work in software development many, many years ago. The memories of an end-user saying "It doesn't work! Fix it!", followed by me replying "What were your doing when it stopped working?", only to then be told "Don't know! Can't Remember!". Fun times. :laughing:
Yeah, in those cases the most frustrating thing is you know there's probably an issue but, so often, there's no way to find out what it is. :disappointed_relieved:
Anyway, thanks for passing the report on. Hopefully it'll be a nice easy fix.
A fix is ready and will be included in 1.6.4. :muscle:

2020-05-26 04:47:52

Excellent :grin: :thumbs_up:

2020-12-21 08:31:10

Hi,

I think I have a problem that has to do with this error. I have Pixelmator classic 3.8.6 Phoenix (with OS 10.12.6 Sierra).

When the image is bigger than the viewport I also lose the icon if the tool I'm using is not small enough in diameter (for example, pencil, eraser...). In the case of the clone tool, I cannot even select the source point.

Even better. Two users in the same computer uses the program and one has the problem and the other doesn't. I have try erasing the configuration files of the one that has the problem and it is not working.

By the way, I have see that I cannot update the program due to my OS version. And I couldn't try the pro version for the same thing. I suppose this will not change, right?

2020-12-22 12:47:12

by Juan Carlos Hi,

I think I have a problem that has to do with this error. I have Pixelmator classic 3.8.6 Phoenix (with OS 10.12.6 Sierra).

When the image is bigger than the viewport I also lose the icon if the tool I'm using is not small enough in diameter (for example, pencil, eraser...). In the case of the clone tool, I cannot even select the source point.

Even better. Two users in the same computer uses the program and one has the problem and the other doesn't. I have try erasing the configuration files of the one that has the problem and it is not working.By the way, I have see that I cannot update the program due to my OS version. And I couldn't try the pro version for the same thing. I suppose this will not change, right?
This issue is not related to the one in Pixelmator Pro, it just affects the same thing, but both the cause and the solution will probably be entirely different. in any case, I'm not able to reproduce it on my Mac, so it would great if you could create a screen recording of the issue and share it with us at support@pixelmator.com. Thanks in advance!