Keeping the original photo

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-03-21 11:33:04

Hi, I am new to Pixelmator Pro and I am finding my way around. Great product so far, loving the repair function.

Is it possible to keep the original photo enacted and unedited, work on a copy or another version for example and save the edits to that copy. I have tried creating a copy in mac photos but when I edit the copied image it also edits the original / master version. I don't think exporting the photo helped me either.

Thanks

2020-03-23 10:46:53

Hi Becs, the steps you should use depend mostly on how you want to organize your workflow. So could you answer a few questions for me:

1. Where do you open images from? I.e. from a folder on your Mac, directly from the Photos app (using the Edit With feature), or from Photos using the File > New from Photos option?
2. Do you want the unedited version to be a separate image? Or would you like to have the ability to overwrite the original image but have the ability to revert to the original?

2020-03-23 13:51:53

Hi Andrius, thanks for getting back to me.

In response:-

1. I mainly open my images from the photos app on my mac by selecting the photo I want to edit and pressing command and enter (shortcut). There are times, but not often, I do open them from a folder (documents / finder).

2. I would like to overwrite the original image but have the ability please to revert to the original.

2020-03-23 14:06:27

OK, in that case, if you opened the image by pressing the Command-Enter keyboard shortcut, you can choose File > Save in Pixelmator Pro after you've finished editing. Then, in the Photos app, if you'd like to revert to the original image, you can choose Image > Revert to Original from the Image menu at the top of your screen.

You can also Control-click the image in the Photos app and choose Revert to Original.

Hope that helps!

2020-03-23 21:06:51

Thanks for the advice. Would you be able to let me know the bets way if I did want to keep an unedited version as a separate image?

Thanks

2020-03-24 14:26:29

Sure! To do this, after editing, I'd probably choose File > Share > Add to Photos. That will save a separate edited image in your library, leaving the original intact.

2020-03-25 19:16:27

Great I'll give it a try many thanks

2020-03-25 20:07:20

Hi, I tried the option to File - share - add to photos after editing and it still overwrites the original? I can revert to the original but it removes all editing. Any ideas? thanks

2020-03-26 09:56:10

by Becs Hi, I tried the option to File - share - add to photos after editing and it still overwrites the original? I can revert to the original but it removes all editing. Any ideas? thanks
It certainly shouldn't overwrite the original, Add to Photos should add a completely new image to your library. I've just double-checked to make sure everything is working on my end and I can confirm that it is. Are you 100% sure that feature overwrites the original? Is it possible you're accidentally clicking File > Save, in addition to File > Share > Add to Photos?

2020-04-03 20:19:15

Hi, I must say I'm having a hard time understanding what's the best workflow with Pixelmator and Photos … First off, I've chosen in Pixlemator settings to keep a copy on iCloud when working with the Photos extension (which works).

However, if, for example, I open a file with command and enter, add a layer and choose save the layer is gone when I open the file with command and enter again. I may still revert to the original version in Photos like described above, but it's not quite a nondestructive workflow.

Different from that all layers are kept if I choose edit in Photos and then open the picture via the extension in editing mode. The downside is the missing menu bar and limited capabilites (?) when work the "extension way".

So, why there are two different approaches to edit images in Pixelmator via Photos and why is only the "extension way" fully nondestructive in that it keeps all layers etc.? I really don't get the rationale behind this.

Thanks for clarifying.