border around entire image?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-01-14 22:20:07

In pixelmator I could select all and then add a stroke to create a border around the entire image. In pro, I can't get it to work.

If I stroke the background, the border doesn't show behind upper layers. Any other layers don't cover the full image, and also have the issue with getting hidden behind other layers. If I select all, it strokes all the edges of every layer, including the text.

Any ideas for how to do this?

Thanks for any help you can give!

2020-01-15 08:06:22

Hi David.
My go-to would be a rectangle the size of the canvas with an inside stroke (image below). Was this what you meant?
All the best.
- Stef.
(edit) although, if you don't want to lose any of the image you might want to increase the canvas size and put a solid colour as the base layer instead.

2020-01-15 08:40:44

I'd use the shape method too — if we don't add a destructive stroke feature in the future, maybe we can add a 'border' effect, that would add a border around the whole image.

2020-01-15 14:28:46

So you're saying create a shape by itself as its own layer? Ah, I see. Had not thought of that. Layer with no fill but a stroke. Great! Thank you! What a relief.

BTW, I would have replied sooner, but I didn't get a notification of your responses. Sorry about that. Much appreciated!

2020-01-15 14:44:29

by David Levin 2020-01-15 11:29:10 BTW, I would have replied sooner, but I didn't get a notification of your responses. Sorry about that. Much appreciated!
The notification email probably went to your Spam folder — that happens quite a lot and, unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's all the much we can do about it. If you'd like, you can create a filter in your email provider (Gmail, I'm guessing?) to never send these types of messages to the Spam mailbox.

2020-01-15 15:46:34

No, not Gmail. But you're right. Found in in my spam folder. I'll know to watch there next time. Thanks!

2020-01-16 09:37:16

by David Levin No, not Gmail. But you're right. Found in in my spam folder. I'll know to watch there next time. Thanks!
Ah, so Gmail's not the only one filtering forum notification emails as spam. Good to know. :smile:

2020-06-12 08:35:33

So happy to find out that you could add border stroke onto a photo. I nearly bought the Graphic app just for that purpose. Many of us Pixelmator Pro users, are often using the app to bastardize photos with text, shapes, effetct, etc, to use the photo as an ad or youtube poster. That's why we need a lot of not photo effects, but text effects, shapes etc. Maybe I need the Graphic app anyway...

2020-06-16 10:09:50

Well, Pixelmator Pro has a collection of shapes as well as a pretty full-featured set of vector tools. If you have any specific effects in mind, let me know and I'll do my best to suggest how you can get those effects in Pixelmator Pro.