Set preferred default for Crop and Save for Web

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2019-12-26 21:00:11

Hi,

I upgraded to Pixelmator Pro a few days ago and I am so happy I did! Thank you for an awesome tool! 👏

I edit hundreds of product photos every day. They are all cropped square, then saved for web as a .jpeg. In Pixelmator (not Pro), the system saves the preferred cropping constrain but I can't figure out if it is possible or how to do that in Pixelmator Pro. The same applies to the "Save for Web" command - is there a way to make it default to JPEG instead of PNG?

These 2 simple things would save me tons of time considering it would cut down on the number of clicks significantly.

Is it possible? Thanks in advance!

Vee

2019-12-27 12:17:27

Hey Vee, glad to hear you're enjoying Pixelmator Pro! Last used crop presets are not remembered across images but they are remembered in the currently open image. The same applies to the Export for Web tool. With that in mind, here's one way you could do this:

1. Open an image, crop and export it
2. In the same Pixelmator Pro document, drag and drop another image into the Layers sidebar above the first image. Or you can choose Insert > Choose (from the Insert menu at the top of your screen) and insert an image that way
3. Choose Image > Reveal Canvas (you can also create your own keyboard shortcut for this in System Preferences)
4. Choose the Crop tool — your last-used preset will be remembered
5. Choose the Export for Web tool — your last-used settings will also be remembered

P.S. I can see there's currently a bug with the Crop tool and the last-used crop preset, at least for me, is remembered but works as if the default Custom Size is selected. I've reported this and we'll fix it. So this may not work quite right just now but it will be fixed.

2019-12-27 12:53:54

Hi, Andrius,

Thank you for your reply. I wanted to try it out before posting. The Crop tool does not "remember" the last format used, it is Custom or free of constraint just as it should be. All my images are cropped square.

I tried the workaround but I am not experienced in working with layers, so it turned out to be more complicated than remembering to change the format to JPG for me. I understand the concept but it's a bigger learning curve than I can handle at the moment.

Maybe at some point, this could be added? For those of us who do repetitive tasks, it would be very helpful!

Thank you again!

Vera

2020-01-02 14:21:56

by Vee 2019-12-27 12:53:54 Maybe at some point, this could be added? For those of us who do repetitive tasks, it would be very helpful!

Thank you again!

Vera
Maybe! We already have presets so it shouldn't be especially tricky from a technical perspective.

2020-01-02 15:58:04

Hi, Andrius,

Thank you, that would be awesome! I am sure it would be useful to a lot of other people too.

The workaround you suggested helps! Happy 2020!

Vee

2020-09-13 22:38:52

I have the same issue, I edit large batches of jpegs and every extra keystroke affects my productivity. A keyboard shortcut or default setting would be very helpful.