Stroke Position pop-up menu greyed-out, stuck on “Center”

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2019-01-20 22:21:01

When trying to create outlines around the letters in a word, I used Format > Styles > Stroke, which worked — at first. But when I tried to set the positioning of the stroke so that it didn’t intrude on the interior of the letters themselves, the submenu was greyed-out and stuck on “Center”, which is not how I want it. Is there any way to get it to work so that I can select “Outside”, or do I have to wait until an update makes it work properly?

2019-01-21 14:29:57

For now, the strokes of text layers can only be in the center position for technical reasons, but you can simply convert a text layer into a shape layer and you'll be able to change its stroke. To do that, choose Format > Convert into Shape. Hope that helps!

2019-02-19 20:22:50

by Andrius 2019-01-21 14:29:57 For now, the strokes of text layers can only be in the <span class="posthilit">center</span> position for technical reasons, but you can simply convert a text layer into a shape layer and you'll be able to change its <span class="posthilit">stroke</span>. To do that, choose Format &gt; Convert into Shape. Hope that helps!
Is there any chance of this coming back in the future? It's the only thing that I was using that got lost in the move from Pixelmator to Pixelmator Pro?

2019-02-22 13:38:47

Sure, it's something we will have to fix, though I can't really make any promises about exactly when that would be...

2019-11-13 07:14:54

Wow...just upgraded and found that this function doesn't work! It's been in the original version since I bought it many years ago. On top of the, Pro is locking up or going very slowly often. Today, I tried using blur. The effect started applying, then stopped.

I thought I had waited long enough for Pixelmator Pro, but my everyday work flow is just far better on the original product (which I LOVE). I expected some time to adjust to the changes (still trying to adapt to the far less intuitive effects interface), but not so much buggy behavior. 😕

2019-11-15 16:12:45

by adamjd 2019-11-13 07:14:54 Wow...just upgraded and found that this function doesn't work! It's been in the original version since I bought it many years ago. On top of the, Pro is locking up or going very slowly often. Today, I tried using blur. The effect started applying, then stopped.

I thought I had waited long enough for Pixelmator Pro, but my everyday work flow is just far better on the original product (which I LOVE). I expected some time to adjust to the changes (still trying to adapt to the far less intuitive effects interface), but not so much buggy behavior. 😕
We do plan to add the ability to adjust stroke position for text layers in the future. Apologies for the inconvenience, tough! As for the blur issue, we'd really appreciate it if you could shoot us an email about it at support@pixelmator.com with a screen recording or a sample file, if possible. If you're seeing any other issues, we'd love to hear about them too!

P.S. We're also planning to overhaul the Effects tool UI with a more familiar browser in an upcoming update. :raised_hands:

2019-11-25 23:35:58

by Andrius 2019-11-15 16:12:45
P.S. We're also planning to overhaul the Effects tool UI with a more familiar browser in an upcoming update. :raised_hands:
That’s some juicy gossip.

I actually hope it doesn’t appear like the old Pixelmator—which had a Final Cut Pro effects browser feel to it—as I think Pro is way more modern approach. (If it becomes more Pixelmator / Final Cut style, just give me the option for a list view, so I needn’t scroll through icon after icon). :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Edit. Pixelmator Photo hits the right balance. Effects (or color adjustments) are there and waiting, just not turned on, so they aren’t hidden.

2019-11-26 10:10:28

by Teelar 2019-11-25 23:35:58
That’s some juicy gossip.

I actually hope it doesn’t appear like the old Pixelmator—which had a Final Cut Pro effects browser feel to it—as I think Pro is way more modern approach. (If it becomes more Pixelmator / Final Cut style, just give me the option for a list view, so I needn’t scroll through icon after icon). :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Edit. Pixelmator Photo hits the right balance. Effects (or color adjustments) are there and waiting, just not turned on, so they aren’t hidden.
Juicy gossip indeed! :smile: Whatever we choose to do, the list will most likely still be available in the Format menu, but it's nice being able to type the name of the effect you need and find it pretty much instantly rather than having to navigate through menus and submenus. Not necessarily because it takes much longer, but there's often a moment of not knowing where exactly to look, which can be a frustrating experience. In any case, the goal is: when you know what effect you need, adding it should be as quick as possible. The means to achieve that goal might vary. As for Pixelmator Photo, the number of adjustments is much lower than the number of effects in Pixelmator Pro and displaying all those would probably result in a list that is rather unwieldy.

2019-11-27 09:37:55

My pleasure! :blush: