Feature request: Import photos directly from Apple Photos App into Pixelmator Photo

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Photo?

2019-04-23 09:21:32

Hello. I have over 40,000 photos on my iPad. As things stand now, it is virtually impossible to open older photos in the Pixelmator Photo (PP) app because it involves a huge amount of scrolling. This is most frustrating. In a future update, would you please incorporate the ability to open a photo in PP from the Apple Photos app via the share button?

Another issue: I have over 100 albums in the Apple Photos app. When I browse these albums from within PP, they appear in completely random order, neither chronological order nor alphabetical order. Hence it is tedious scrolling thru so many albums to find the one you are looking for. In a future update, would it be possible to have a search option within PP to find an album?

I do hope these two features will be incorporated in future.

Thanks in advance!

Ps: I like PP a lot - the outpost files are outstanding and the interface is user-friendly. Well done Pixelmator!

2019-04-23 11:12:22

Yes please +1 to this!

Not sure how good the Apple Photos extension ability is for IOS in comparison to the Mac but this would be extremely useful -> Open Photo in Apple Photos -> Extension/Share to PP from Photos app -> Edit in PP and then have (1) Option to directly save back then quit PP or (2) Create new Photo then quit PP; with option to use PP library or not.

Cheers, Andy

2019-04-23 11:33:04

Of the image editing apps that I have on my iPad, I am able to import a photo into VSCO via the share button. So presumably Pixelmator could incorporate this feature as well. See screenshot below

2019-04-23 11:41:55

by Firoze 2019-04-23 09:21:32 Hello. I have over 40,000 photos on my iPad. As things stand now, it is virtually impossible to open older photos in the Pixelmator Photo (PP) app because it involves a huge amount of scrolling. This is most frustrating. In a future update, would you please incorporate the ability to open a photo in PP from the Apple Photos app via the share button?

Another issue: I have over 100 albums in the Apple Photos app. When I browse these albums from within PP, they appear in completely random order, neither chronological order nor alphabetical order. Hence it is tedious scrolling thru so many albums to find the one you are looking for. In a future update, would it be possible to have a search option within PP to find an album?

I do hope these two features will be incorporated in future.

Thanks in advance!

Ps: I like PP a lot - the outpost files are outstanding and the interface is user-friendly. Well done Pixelmator!
A share extension is already in the works. Hopefully, we won't hit any major roadblocks and, if we don't, it shouldn't be too long before this is available. But there's always something that manages to get in the way. :smile:

As for the album order issue, this is something we've been able to repro but it's not yet entirely clear why or when it happens. I've also added the search feature to our feature request list. :wink:
by Andy SP 2019-04-23 08:13:11 Yes please +1 to this!

Not sure how good the Apple Photos extension ability is for IOS in comparison to the Mac but this would be extremely useful -> Open Photo in Apple Photos -> Extension/Share to PP from Photos app -> Edit in PP and then have (1) Option to directly save back then quit PP or (2) Create new Photo then quit PP; with option to use PP library or not.

Cheers, Andy
Unfortunately, sharing from Photos into editing apps isn't quite as streamlined on iOS as it is on macOS and, just like other apps, we'll have to use certain workarounds to get this to work. On macOS, the Edit With feature is part of Photos and adding support for it is simple, relatively speaking. But we'll do our best to make the workflow as seamless as possible.

2019-04-23 11:44:59

Thanks Andy, look forward to seeing these features added soon. 🙂👍🏻

2019-04-23 12:13:48

by Andrius 2019-04-23 11:43:37
A share extension is already in the works. Hopefully, we won't hit any major roadblocks and, if we don't, it shouldn't be too long before this is available. But there's always something that manages to get in the way. :smile:

As for the album order issue, this is something we've been able to repro but it's not yet entirely clear why or when it happens. I've also added the search feature to our feature request list. :wink:

Unfortunately, sharing from Photos into editing apps isn't quite as streamlined on iOS as it is on macOS and, just like other apps, we'll have to use certain workarounds to get this to work. On macOS, the Edit With feature is part of Photos and adding support for it is simple, relatively speaking. But we'll do our best to make the workflow as seamless as possible.

Awesome cheers