Exporting Photoshop File Issue: Not Compatible?

A place to talk about anything else with other Pixelmator users.

2019-11-15 21:44:40

I exported a PS file to share with a friend, and we are all getting the same error message when trying to open the PS file in Photoshop: Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop.

Does Pixelmator need to update the compatibility integrations with Photoshop to ensure the export file will work?

Please advise asap. Time sensitive :) Thank you.

2019-11-17 17:57:22

Hi Greta.
As far as I know, the .psd files that Pixelmator exports should open up in PhotoShop with no add-ins. I'd recommend sending am email to support@pixelmator.com letting them know the version of Pixelmator/Pixelmator Pro that you are using and supplying the .pxd/.pxm and .psd files if you are able.
The team at Pixelmator do browse these forums but, if you want to guarantee a response, I'd email. That way it goes straight into their help system and you should get the fastest response.
Hope this helps.
- Stef.

2019-11-17 18:35:13

Actually, upon researching this, I understand now that Pixelmator is on its way OUT, and in order to continue using this application you need to purchase Pixelmator Pro. I did this, and resolved the compatibility with PS. I didn't even know about the Pro version...

I do think there should be a clearer messaging around this. I am happy to upgrade or convert, but finding out from a client unable to open my .psd file because I exported an incompatible file wasn't the best feeling.

Resolved, and anyone reading this should get the Pro version to save further issues :)

2019-11-17 19:26:36

I don't have any inside knowledge on the future of classic Pixelmator but my impression is that, although development is primarily focused on Pixelmator Pro that classic Pixelmator is still being maintained. I've corresponded with the some of the staff at Pixelmator and they strike me as proud of the work that they do and keen to help people get the most out of their products. Leaving a product broken to encourage people to upgrade I feel is so far outside these people's behaviour that I think it to be vanishingly unlikely. I think you have found a bug that, if you were to pursue it, I think the staff would help you to work around and fix.
That said, I am very glad I made the switch to Pixelmator Pro. I love the cleaner UI and the fact that most effects are non-destructive effects. A word of caution, though. It's a completely separate app coded (as far as I am aware) from the ground up with little or no shared code. So some things may not work quite the same; if the team had a change of heart about a feature's functionality since writing classic Pixelmator then that feature will work differently on Pixelmator Pro.
I hope you enjoy it and remember that there's a pretty friendly community to help support you if you run into trouble.
All the best.
- Stef.

2019-11-18 12:48:03

by Greta Rose Actually, upon researching this, I understand now that Pixelmator is on its way OUT, and in order to continue using this application you need to purchase Pixelmator Pro. I did this, and resolved the compatibility with PS. I didn't even know about the Pro version...

I do think there should be a clearer messaging around this. I am happy to upgrade or convert, but finding out from a client unable to open my .psd file because I exported an incompatible file wasn't the best feeling.

Resolved, and anyone reading this should get the Pro version to save further issues :)
Stef rightly (and oh-so-eloquently) pointed out that, although Pixelmator Pro is essentially Pixelmator v2 and we'd like everyone to switch to it once they're ready, the original is still being updated and things like this certainly shouldn't be happening. What's more, if the issues were widespread, I am sure we'd have lots of angry emails telling us our PSD export is broken and, luckily, that doesn't seem to be the case so this appears to be a one-off. For that reason, we'd really appreciate it if you could share the original Pixelmator file with us at support@pixelmator.com and let us know your version of Pixelmator and macOS, because this may also be having an effect. We'll do our best to fix this in future updates to Pixelmator for anyone who's not quite ready to make the switch to Pixelmator Pro.