How to Colorize old Black and white photographs

A place to talk about anything else with other Pixelmator users.

2019-03-03 21:51:30

Can I use Pixelmator Pro to colorize onld B&W photos? If so, Is there a tutorial on how to do this? I have both Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro. I know you can do this with Photoshop, but would like to use what I have. This would be for old family photos from 1918 and after. If there is another program that I should use, I would appreciate suggestion. Thanks - Keith

2019-04-18 13:48:47

That sounds like a pretty great set of steps, but it looks like your images didn't attach. Would love to see the result!

2019-07-08 09:35:31

by keith sumrall 2019-03-03 16:21:30 Can I use Pixelmator Pro to colorize onld B&W photos? If so, Is there a tutorial on how to do this? I have both Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro. I know you can do this with Photoshop, but would like to use what I have. This would be for old family photos from 1918 and after. If there is another program that I should use, I would appreciate suggestion. Thanks - Keith
Hi Keith,

Kindly check the URL given below for colorizing black and white photos with Pixelmator.

https://www.pixelmator.com/mac/tutorial ... ng-photos/

2019-10-20 10:42:49

Why couldn't I just dump an ideally coloured photo into the ML Enhance panel and let it do its AI magic on the B&W image? Perfectly good idea I thought as I gave it a shot - but it didn't do anything except brighten the image a little. Why does this work with colour images but not B&W?

2019-10-23 15:23:19

I replied to your comment in the other thread but I'll also paste my response here:
ML Enhance is trained to match the colors of different photos using the color adjustment tools and colorization cannot be done in this way. I'm not sure I can explain in simple terms why not but if you take a black and white photo and try to use any of the color adjustments, it won't bring any color into the photo (with the exception of Sepia and Color Monochrome, but these add tints of a single color). That's not to say that this is technically impossible but it would require a completely different tool with a different mechanism — definitely a cool idea, though!

2021-02-27 05:15:18

I just realized MyHeritage has an amazing AI colorization tool for black and white photos. If Pixelmator Pro could add anything like that, boy, would I pay for it! https://www.myheritage.com/incolor

2022-04-13 02:45:20

by Steve George 2019-07-08 13:35:31 Hi Keith,

Kindly check the URL given below for colorizing black and white photos with Pixelmator.

https://www.pixelmator.com/mac/tutorial ... ng-photos/
I went to this link and started to work on it until it told me to get the burning tool. I can't find it. Any advice?

2022-04-15 23:02:43

Hi JugglingZero, this tool is called Darken in Pixelmator Pro.

2022-06-07 14:29:08

I used this tool MyHeritage and was pleased with the result.