Scroll past edges of the image canvas

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator?

2014-12-17 21:53:33

+1
It seems like a small feature, but it has a huge impact on the user experience! I feel trapped when I use Pixelmator because the canvas is always locked to the center of the screen. Very annoying!

2015-01-28 14:46:16

+1

You got to make it happen before too late

2015-05-27 08:26:59

+1

2015-08-17 18:10:30

Please, please do this! I am using Pixelmator to draw.

+1

2016-01-22 08:19:51

This is indeed really annoying. Why are you ignoring us for years? This should not be too hard to implement. If you don't fix this, please let us at least know why.

2016-02-28 06:31:29

Definitely gotta add my +1 to this

2016-03-25 00:39:12

How on earth has this not happened yet? Honestly, asinine. Such a great product in so many ways, it's genuinely a shame.

2016-04-11 13:52:44

How on Earth indeed. Three years and still not done. It's annoying to work with edges in Pixelmator!

2016-04-19 21:05:26

+1 whats the wait?

2016-05-16 20:43:55

+1.
At the moment, if I need to work on the edge of an image, I'm expanding the canvas and keeping the original image size with a rectangular placeholder which matches a slice I use for export.

2016-06-23 23:17:04

this is the number one cause of my headaches. please fix this!

2016-07-06 12:11:47

+1

2016-10-31 23:57:04

+1

2017-01-26 19:11:27

It's been 4 years since the original post, is this ever going to become a thing?

2017-08-03 21:13:15

Very disappointed I did not read this thread before buying - I don't think I would have purchased if I knew I couldn't scroll past the edge of the canvas. It's extremely frustrating and makes work difficult.

I'll write a review and let other potential buyers know.

2017-09-14 01:30:56

PLEASE EVERYONE, consider App as inter-op component.There's more than one way to slice a pumpkin pie.

Pixelmator view margins are cramped. To trace Pixelmator area or shape for copy and cut off-canvas, zoom out (Option-key and mouse wheel). Unfortunately, we cannot zoom in while tracing with a tool. So tracing in from outside image edge is crude butchery.

Why use an app that forces crude butchery?

Pixelmator has fantastic and critically stable interface performance. Photoshop shape or layer gradient from opacity 100% to opacity 0%? Buggy and very seldom works as expected (i.e., "unexpected")! Pixelmator, simple opacity slider in the Mac Color panel module.

For reasons that I do not understand (no, I am not an app programmer), all of those graphics apps that allow unlimited picture margins at any zoom level DO NOT allow the simple transparency gradients. So, if limited margins and transparency gradients go together, fine, COUNT ME IN!

Can we assume that cramped margins and gradients relate as indicated and move on? No more questions, promise.

Here's a slice to avoid butchery, that might be manageable... It would be nice if copy and cut tracing allowed Zoom in and out while tracing. Remember, we are all holding down Option key while dragging mouse to trace our copy and cut areas. Pixelmator programmers could perhaps combine Option key with two other keys, creating two (new) Option-key methods: say, Ctrl-z zooms in while tracing with mouse, and Ctrl-x zooms out while tracing with mouse.

2017-09-14 01:43:12

Errata: "Here's a slice to avoid butchery..."

There is no way to trace outside of image edge. Tracing outside image is not possible. Inter-op says, "Boner!"

"Interopis a technology included in the .NET Framework Common Language Runtime (CLR) that enables Component Object Model (COM) objects to interact with .NET objects, and vice versa. COMInteropaims to provide access to the existing COM components without requiring that the original component be modified."

That said, enjoy your transparency gradients, and let the Pixels people keep doing their thing.

2017-10-10 15:48:19

Please, +1

2018-03-11 20:10:56

come on, guys! 68 users, over 6 years, 3 months, and 11 days with me being the 69th as of this comment post is really unnecessary, for trying to address such an issue you guys who have pushed this under the rug behind closed locked doors.

Just how HARD is it to listen to your users and/or fix such an easy set of code to allow users to scroll past the edges of the canvas?

Listen to your users and don't try to play the game of trying to get us to buy PRO just for a little feature like this!

I really, for the love of God, hope that this will be fixed before it hits the 7-year mark!

Thank you for reading. (IF YOU DID)

2018-05-08 16:46:37

+1

Pixelmator is great at using trackpad technologies, and zooming in and out works great, but why oh why do you keep me from the freedom of moving the canvas off senter?

It really gives the impression that the developers don't use this app for their own projects.

EDIT: Oh wow! I've just noticed I've already commented in this thread! For three and a half years ago!!! And the problem persists still... I'm moving to Affinity.

2019-08-26 10:21:09

I can't change language in Pixelmator, but I guess it will be clear how to enable this feature.

2020-09-08 20:42:35

8 years later and this standard feature still doesn't work, this is bizarre. Does anyone know if this a feature in Pixelmator Pro? Maybe I'll upgrade if it does work this way.

2020-09-09 09:14:28

It is indeed available in Pixelmator Pro — and there's no need to buy the app to check it out, you can download a free trial of it here: https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/free-trial/