Can't select the colour I want in Replace Color

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2019-05-30 23:50:21

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

I'm trying to replace a colour in an icon from one shade of green to the colour specified by the client. I have its hex code but can't see where I can enter it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm using Pixelmator Version 3.8.4 Phoenix (90520.1125) on a Mac.

Regards,
Rob

2019-05-31 06:04:42

Hi Rob.
As I understand it, Pixelmator's Replace Color is a tool based on perception, not exact value, so I don't think you're going to be able to do what you want with this tool. Fortunately you have other tools available.

If the logo is isolated against a transparent background, you can use a clipping mask to recolour it. To do this:
1. Add a layer above the logo.
2. Fill it with the desired colour. (Quickest way Brush tool (B), select colour*, Command-Delete to fill)
3. Right-click on it in the layers panel and select Create Clipping Mask. The original layer will supply opacity information, the clipping mask will supply colour information.

If the logo is against an opaque background then you have a load of different ways of doing things, but let's stick with clipping mask. Isolate the object from its background as follows:
1. Use the selection tools to select the logo.
2. Right click on the layer and select Add Mask. The logo will be separated from its background.
3. Deselect then Add Clipping Mask as above.

Hope this helps. If you get stuck, or anything's unclear, just come back and I'll see what I can do.
- Stef.
*If you can't find a place to input a hex colour, click on 'Show Colors...' to bring up Apple's Color Picker. There's a hex color field in the RGB mode of the Color Sliders tab (as well as a hex tab).

2019-06-05 07:28:07

Thanks Stef. I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes.

2019-06-05 23:41:51

You're a legend Stef!! Worked beautifully.