Export multiple layers as separate images

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2016-07-01 00:25:23

I created a drawing which contains 15 layers. Each layer contains a separate image. I would like to export all 15 layers simultaneously yet on their separate layers. My plan is to import these layers into Keynote so I can animate each image separately on the same slide.

I realize I can drag each layer onto the desktop however using this technique results in different size .png files. I would like all the layers/files to be the same size 1280x720 so when I drop those files into Keynote they will be positioned correctly.

Brest Regards...
Markus

2016-07-01 09:53:31

Hi PixelPlatz,

Since you're using various size layers in your composition, the only way to export them at the initial file's dimensions would be by using the Export feature (Share > Export). Simply hide the layers you don't want to be visible (uncheck them in the Layers palette) and export the file. Continue the same workflow by hiding/selecting the remaining layers.

2017-01-15 03:03:48

I had this same question. I'm new to this kind of software.

So, is this the only way to export single images in a project file that has over 100 layers? I need to uncheck each box one-by-one?

Is there a way to uncheck/check multiple boxes at once?

Thanks for your support,

2017-01-16 17:08:38

Hi!

You can select a layer in the layers palette and drag it onto the desktop or to a finder window. If you want to export several images at once that way, simply select those you want to export in the layers palette and drag them all out and onto the desktop or any other finder window.

2017-11-02 03:57:23

I've found that you can hold down the "Option" key to just place a check in a single layer; however, I can't figure out how to check them all again without clicking the box for each layer.

Also, has anyone found a way to export all layers as separate jpegs?

2017-11-02 05:23:25

Hi gkjapan,

Indeed it is a manual job to make several layers visible again. Sorry for that.

Regarding export as jpg. I think you should go the automator route. So you drag out your layers to a folder like explained above. Then if you have attached an automator action to that folder you can convert any incoming png-file to a jpg file on the fly.

2018-01-12 04:47:37

Hi Sebastian,
Do you know if it is still possible to drag and drop layers to the finder window to export them each individually? Or any reason why this might not work? I see a transparent copy of the layers, and my cursor gets a + icon when I hover over the finder window before dropping, but when I actually release the mouse button nothing appears to happen. This would be a huge help to me if possible as manually resizing and exporting several dozen layers/images is very time consuming.

Thanks!!!

2018-01-12 16:12:14

This is still possible in Pixelmator Classic and it also works in Pixelmator Pro

2018-09-14 01:34:05

by Sebastiaan 2017-01-16 17:08:38 You can select a layer in the layers palette and drag it onto the desktop or to a finder window.
This is an excellent solution!

2022-05-27 05:21:36

by Sebastiaan 2017-01-16 17:08:38 Hi!You can select a layer in the layers palette and drag it onto the desktop or to a finder window. If you want to export several images at once that way, simply select those you want to export in the layers palette and drag them all out and onto the desktop or any other finder window.
this is a VERY useful feature, I've been hunting for this.

Suggest you make this more prominent in your documentation.

Also for anyone, you can group the layers, and drag that out as a single image.