How to crop images in a circle shape

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2015-04-09 11:01:35

Hi,
I need your help. I want to use the shape forms, and crop for example in a circle shape and put it in another image. All I found on the web was a tutorial for photoshop, which I found not helpful.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Jq2nI ... freload=10

Can you tell me how this works out?

Thanks, Rocky from Berlin, Germany

2015-04-09 13:20:58

Hi Rocky,

There's no feature in Pixelmator that would crop your image into a circle shape, however, there are other ways to get the result you want. Here are some tips:

1. Open your image in Pixelmator (File > Open).
2. Select the Ellipse Shape from the Tools palette and draw a circle. To make a perfect circle, hold down the Shift key while drawing.
3. Click the Action pop-up menu in the Layers palette and choose Convert into Pixels.
4. Then, drag the layer with the circle below the layer with your image.
5. Select the layer with your image, click the Action pop-up menu in the Layers palette and choose Create Clipping Mask.

Hope this helps!

2015-04-09 17:30:14

Hi Edita,

thank you! Although, if I do all this steps, there must be the final one missing :-) I still do not get a cropped image in this elliptical shape. Is there another step afterwards?

Thank you so much!

Andrea

2015-04-10 12:54:24

Not really, after all of these steps, your image should look something like this:

It would be great if you could upload your final result here, then I'd be able to tell what goes wrong :)

2015-04-10 17:39:55

@Rocky: Are you by any chance exporting your image to for example a jpg-image or any other format that doesn't support transparency? Try exporting as a png-file.

2015-05-28 12:26:52

I am trying to do the same thing and it does not work.

When I try to do step #3, I cannot choose this option because if is dimmed. There must be a missing step or you are assuming I know something I do not.

2015-05-28 18:01:53

@Jim1111 It looks like you are using the elliptical marquee tool and not the ellipse shape from the shape tool. Then you can't do step 3. Your way of doing this with the elliptical marquee tool is not wrong though. If that's the crop you want you can copy the selection onto a new layer or into a new document. Hide any layers you don't want to see and export or continue editing.

2015-08-17 16:09:49

Hi,

@Edita
In step number 3, is it the shape layer that must be selected when clicking Convert to Pixels? Cause that's what I am doing, and on step number 5: Create Clipping Mask,my image suddenly becomes transparent....
Any ideas ?

2016-01-03 16:45:23

Regarding the method suggested by @Edita:
Make sure that “Fill” parameter of the circle shape is set to “Color” (it doesn’t matter which color) before step #3.

2016-04-22 13:08:17

thanks for everything.....

2017-08-24 13:27:44

Good tips, but I think I found a simpler way to do this:
1. Open your image in Pixelmator (File > Open).
2. Select the Ellipse Shape from the Tools palette and draw a circle. To make a perfect circle, hold down the Shift key while drawing.
3. In the Layers palette, right click the image and choose add mask.
4. Then, with the crop tool constrained to square, crop the image.
5. Export as png (jpg doesn`t support transparency).

2017-10-22 13:24:45

Thanks guy, that worked too.

2018-01-22 12:52:19

After failing at this, I found that the key thing is to select the layer WITH THE IMAGE TO BE CROPPED in Edita's step 5. I missed that.

Here's an explanation that was clearer for me. Maybe it was the pictures that made the difference :)

http://www.kristinecamins.com/create-a- ... ixelmator/