Workflow with RawFiles

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2020-01-01 12:08:58

Hello,

I'm new on Pixelmator Photo and i would like to know how you manage your workflow.

I was using LR for long time but it's time to change.

Please explain from import to export where you archive your files etc

Thanks for your help.

2020-01-02 14:55:10

Pixelmator Photo is optimized to work with a Photos library-based workflow — i.e. you can import your RAW files into Photos, then open Pixelmator Photo and sync your changes, nondestructively, back with Photos. Have you had a chance to try that?

2020-01-02 19:54:58

Thanks for your reply @Andrius.

So if i understand well :

Import raw files in Photos
Modify photos with Pixelmator Photo
Save changes to have a JPEG in Photos
Keep the raw files AND the JPEG in Photos ?

If yes my icloud storage will be full very fast

2020-01-03 11:51:25

That's true — you could also use local storage on your iPad, but RAW files take up a lot of space anywhere. Where would you prefer to store your files and edits?

2020-01-04 00:05:15

Thanks to Pixelmator my dreamed workflow is as follows: copying raws to files, convert them as desired and saving jpg or heic to iOS Photos.
From there they are backed up automatically to iCloud or maybe better to Google photos.
Raws can be stored externally or whatever cloud storage. The 5 gigs of iCloud can be saved.
Don't forget you can work directly on external drive on files.
Many thanks to your team Andrius for great work.
Can't wait though for some others tools in Pixelmator, like dehaze, wihte point, ca pf correction, barrel and pincushion correction.

2020-01-04 16:24:13

by Andrius That's true — you could also use local storage on your iPad, but RAW files take up a lot of space anywhere. Where would you prefer to store your files and edits?
My goal was to work on files stored on external hardrive/Mac/Nas.

Like this i can keep my raw files on a physical drive where Time Machine run.

After my work on the raw files, with one button, sent the jpeg in Photos with the exif and metadata.

Thanks for your support.

2020-01-06 12:38:38

Well, you should be able to open RAW files from the external drive if it connects to your iPad. If you open the file in Pixelmator Photo via the Files interface, a .PHOTO file will be created alongside it, which will contain your RAW file and will be used to nondestructively store your edits. It's up to you whether you want to keep that .PHOTO file (or maybe delete the RAW, as the .PHOTO file contains it). You can then tap the More menu (three dots), and choose Share > Save Image to save the image to your Photos library with the EXIF and metadata intact. Does that sound like it would work for you?