Exporting images for print at 300 dpi?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2019-12-26 17:11:06

I am new to Pixelmator Photo and I need to be able to export images at 300 dpi for printing. Please help!

2019-12-29 10:53:45

Hi Steven,
Not sure if this helps, but I recently sent a whole bunch of images from my iPad to an online printer, and of course for best print quality wanted them all in 300 dpi. As I also had the idea to frame them, I have imported them after editing in Pixelmator Photo into separate Affinity Photo files, gave them the finishing touches - including one of the many “realistic” photo frame templates (imitating analogue) - and exported the final photo as 300dpi Tiff which I have uploaded to 2 different online printers on the iPad (both had seemingly acceptable/good apps on iPadOS and I wanted to test print quality).

Probably could have edited them completely in Affinity Photo but I am faster with Pixelmator Photo and the edited result lives in the Apple Photos app from which I can access it on all my iOS devices.
Timo

2020-01-02 14:53:46

In most cases, PPI/DPI is simply a setting — your photo either has the required pixel dimensions to be printed at a certain physical size or it doesn't. Changing the PPI setting to 300 doesn't increase the quality of an image (unless done with something like our new ML Super Resolution feature), it simply tells the printer to print a certain number of pixels in a certain area. In any case, it would be nice to have the possibility to adjust this setting in Pixelmator Photo but it isn't available at the moment. We'll see what we can do!