Can't open Raw Images .NEF from Photo Roll

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2019-12-22 13:14:59

Hi everyone, I just bought Pixelmator Photo (version 1.1.3) and when I try to load my Raw images from the photo roll I have a popup saying "Unable to Open Image. The image could not be opened. This RAW format may not be supported". My Raw (.NEF) files are from Nikon d3400 and d7200 and these models are totally compatible. I transferred my raw files with iTunes from my iMac mid 2011 (with High Sierra) to my iPad 2018 (6th generation with ipados 13.3) but I can't open them. I can only open them when they are in "files" but I really need to open them from the photo roll because it's the only way I have right now to transfer a lot of raw files to my ipad. Thanks!

2019-12-29 10:41:29

Hi Jonathan,
Got this message box when trying to edit compressed RAW from my Fuji X-T2. Switched this off and now the RAW file is twice the size but edits fine in Pixelmator Photo (and some other apps which had issues with the Fuji compression, too).

However, this “limitation” is listed as a footnote in the RAW compatibility section here on the site. Neither of your camera model listings show such a footnote, but I would still look along those lines. I have owned a Nikon D7100 and RAW files open fine on the iPad, whether in their original NEF or converted into Adobe’s DNG.

If you cannot find a setting in your cameras causing the issues, I would advise converting all your RAWs to DNGs on the Mac. This solved the issues of a couple of hundred compressed Fuji RAW files for me and probably makes them a bit more “future proof” anyway.
Timo

2020-01-02 14:48:05

by Jonathan88 2019-12-22 13:14:59 Hi everyone, I just bought Pixelmator Photo (version 1.1.3) and when I try to load my Raw images from the photo roll I have a popup saying "Unable to Open Image. The image could not be opened. This RAW format may not be supported". My Raw (.NEF) files are from Nikon d3400 and d7200 and these models are totally compatible. I transferred my raw files with iTunes from my iMac mid 2011 (with High Sierra) to my iPad 2018 (6th generation with ipados 13.3) but I can't open them. I can only open them when they are in "files" but I really need to open them from the photo roll because it's the only way I have right now to transfer a lot of raw files to my ipad. Thanks!

Just to clarify, you're able to open the same images when they're in Files, but not in your library? If so, it would be great if you could share a sample image or two with us at support@pixelmator.com! That definitely sounds like a potential bug...