Version 1.1 bug report and a question on importing

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2019-10-02 09:06:49

First of all, compliments to the Pixelmator team for this big update with many new useful features.

Bug report: When importing a photo from the Apple Photos app into PP via the share sheet, most often the PP app freezes on the “loading..” screen. Sometimes force quitting PP unfreezes the app, but often I have to restart the iPad. This happens while importing DNG+JPEG photos from my Leica X Vario. I have not tried importing only RAW images as yet. However in the past with the earlier version of PP I never had problems importing DNG+JPEG images from the X Vario, so this bug is specific to v1.1. I have deleted and reinstalled PP but the issue remains. I’m using a iPad Pro 12.9” 2018 (3rd gen) iOS 13.1.2. Any solutions? Ps: opening these images from within PP works just fine, the issue is only while importing via the Apple Photos app.

Question: in your 1.1 release notes you mention “ This means you can now manage all your edits in your Photos library without having to import images.” What does this mean? From what I can see, from my Apple Photos library I still have to import a photo into PP to edit it, rather than edit it within the Photos app itself via three dot “extensions” feature. What am I not understanding?

2019-10-04 08:00:37

First of all, compliments to the Pixelmator team for this big update with many new useful features.
Thank you! :pray:
Bug report: When importing a photo from the Apple Photos app into PP via the share sheet, most often the PP app freezes on the “loading..” screen. Sometimes force quitting PP unfreezes the app, but often I have to restart the iPad. This happens while importing DNG+JPEG photos from my Leica X Vario. I have not tried importing only RAW images as yet. However in the past with the earlier version of PP I never had problems importing DNG+JPEG images from the X Vario, so this bug is specific to v1.1. I have deleted and reinstalled PP but the issue remains. I’m using a iPad Pro 12.9” 2018 (3rd gen) iOS 13.1.2. Any solutions? Ps: opening these images from within PP works just fine, the issue is only while importing via the Apple Photos app.
It'd be great if you could email us about support@pixelmator.com about this — we'll investigate.
Question: in your 1.1 release notes you mention “ This means you can now manage all your edits in your Photos library without having to import images.” What does this mean? From what I can see, from my Apple Photos library I still have to import a photo into PP to edit it, rather than edit it within the Photos app itself via three dot “extensions” feature. What am I not understanding?
You don't really have to import a photo — the photo browser in Pixelmator Photo mirrors your photos library (as it did before) and now, when saving changes, they're automatically saved to the same image and the .PHOTO file is linked to it as well. So you don't have a separate Pixelmator Photo that you need to open to see those changes. You just open the image in your library, and you'll find everything as you left it. For now, a full-featured extension is not possible due to limited memory, so this is the next best thing. :wink:

2019-10-04 13:06:12

Thanks for the replies,

I will email a bug report about this to you soon. The problem also happens with my other camera, so it is not limited to a specific camera.

About importing, I understand your explanation and that is how I import recent images into PP. The difficulty comes when importing old files. The file browser in PP shows Albums in completely random order. I have approx 100 albums in Apple Photos, so finding the wanted album is very tedious. Thus, I necessarily have to import older images into PP via the Apple photos app share button.

2019-10-04 15:59:33

by Firoze 2019-10-04 13:06:12 The file browser in PP shows Albums in completely random order. I have approx 100 albums in Apple Photos, so finding the wanted album is very tedious. Thus, I necessarily have to import older images into PP via the Apple photos app share button.
Yeah, that's a bug outside of our control actually. There's an API for ordering the albums as you do in Photos but that's currently not working. We're waiting for a fix. :disappointed:

2019-10-04 16:12:20

by Andrius 2019-10-04 16:08:58
Yeah, that's a bug outside of our control actually. There's an API for ordering the albums as you do in Photos but that's currently not working. We're waiting for a fix. :disappointed:
I know about this bug. However the latest versions of VSCO, 500px and Behance apps do list the albums in alphabetical order. Maybe the you can check how they have managed to achieve this.