How to work with Apple's Design Resources

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2020-09-18 07:47:54

Hi there,

what I am trying to do is to create a custom document icon for my app. Apple provides design resources that can be downloaded here: https://developer.apple.com/design/reso ... macos-apps

If you download "macOS 11 (Beta) Download for Photoshop" you will find this document:

However I am not able to export the icon(s) from Pixelmator because they always come with this grey background and a transparent body:

What do I have to do in Pixelmator Pro to get everything ready and export the icons with a transparent background, white body and my custom icon? :confused: You guys at Pixelmator have probably done it before for Pixelmator itself...

Cheers
Daniel

2020-09-18 12:40:54

Hi there! Unfortunately, right now, we don't support the PS features required to be able to work with these templates. But it would be awesome if we could provide our own templates for something like this or, of course, add support for the features required by them to Pixelmator Pro.

2020-09-19 19:00:39

Hi Andrius,

thanks for your reply. Maybe you could even use your connection to Apple to provide good Pixelmator templates on their website. Just like Sketch.

Cheers
Daniel

2020-09-21 08:36:21

by Daniel W. 2020-09-19 16:00:39 Hi Andrius,

thanks for your reply. Maybe you could even use your connection to Apple to provide good Pixelmator templates on their website. Just like Sketch.

Cheers
Daniel
Heh, that would be pretty darn awesome! :smile:

2020-09-23 18:53:06

For every developer who reads this. Apple changed the way you provide document icons with macOS11. You can now simply check "Use system generated icons" in your document specifications in Xcode and will get a great icon with your app icon and the file extension name. You can also provide custom backgrounds and text. Xcode will take everything and make your icon. You can read more about it here: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=5i6jlf4d