Text layers in PSD files not all importing as text

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2020-07-08 16:08:43

Hi, I'm testing out Pixelmator Pro as a Photoshop replacement and I am able to open any PSD file I have, which is great. Unfortunately, PSD files with text layers are a mixed bag. In most cases, some but not all of the text layers are rasterized on input, and there does not appear to be any pattern to this. The fonts used are the same on all the layers, but only some survive as editable text ;-( Image

I have attached an example where there are 8 text layers in the PSD file, two came in as editable text and six were rasterized... Thanks for any insight you can provide.

2020-07-09 11:56:34

Interesting, that definitely looks to be a bug! Any chance you could share that PSD with us? Or as many as you can for us to test with. You can upload it to upload.pixelmator.com, then copy and paste the link in your reply here. If you prefer, you can also email it straight to me at andriusg@pixelmator.com!

2020-07-10 10:17:14

Thanks, Andrius. I sent two example files along with the font used, directly to the email address provided above.

2020-07-10 14:29:42

I've received them and shared them with the devs — thanks, Gil!

2023-03-10 03:16:07

Hi, I'm testing out Pixelmator Pro as a Photoshop replacement and I am able to open any PSD file I have. Unfortunately, I had the same problem as above.

The version I am using now is 3.3.1. Has the above issue been resolved?

2023-03-13 09:42:05

Hi there! I'm afraid this is expected behavior. Not all Photoshop transformations are fully supported in Pixelmator Pro. If a text layer has an unsupported transformation applied to it (e.g. nondestructive skew), once the file is imported into Pixelmator Pro, two layers are generated in place of the single text layer in version 3.3: one bitmap layer (visible by default) - a rasterized version of what the original text looked like in Photoshop - and one (hidden) editable text layer without the unsupported transformation applied. The idea here is that if you want the text to be editable, you'll need to use Pixelmator Pro-specific functionality (like the Perspective Transform effect in the case of nondestructive skew being used in the original) to get the text to resemble it's original version, and the bitmap layer is supposed to serve as reference for this.