Image rotation anomaly

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2019-12-22 16:20:13

I just wanted to let you know of this PixPro anomaly. I took a photo (HEIC this time) into PixPro. It needed rotation 90 degrees left and This was the immediate result. After the crop tool was activated it appeared perfect. I just wanted you to see the the transition image.

2019-12-22 16:36:40

I sent a bug report about a rotation anomaly that was non-serious. But continuing with the image I needed to alter the perspective. After using the tool I selected the border and tried to remove it, and got this first image. When that didn't work I reversed the selection and copied and pasted. I turned of viewing of the first image and was left with the second image result. I think I will be able to work around this, but thought you should know.

Hhhmmmm, no matter what I have tried, so far to fix my image, nothing has worked to let me remove the artifacts after the perspective change.
(Miscellaneous selections, deletions etc.)

2019-12-22 17:06:13

I found no way to repair the image borders, based on the previous perspective change. So I grabbed a screen shot of the image just cropped in a bit more, turned OFF visibility of the first image - then dragged in the new screen shot. This was the immediate result.

I think there needs to be a way to forget history of the perspective change that screws any kind of further work. Next, I will save a jpeg of the changed perspective image - and pull that in for edits. (coining back in history... to just the perspective change and exporting...

That worked; no more perspective interference, but a lot more work to cleanup the image.

2019-12-27 11:40:43

Hey there, could you let me know your Mac specs and version of macOS? Also, is this easily reproducible or more intermittent?

2019-12-27 11:43:49

I've merged the two topics btw — do you happen to also have the original (corrupted) PXD file anywhere? If so, it would be great if you could upload it to http://upload.pixelmator.com, then copy and paste the link you get here.

2019-12-27 16:08:09

I do not have the original .pxd file, but I have sent the original .HEIC file that was rotated and displayed funny for rotation and perspective. I tried to make a new .pxd do the same thing with the image - but only the rotation showed the problem - couldn't make the perspective misbehave. (probably could with a little more effort. ;^)

2020-01-09 15:54:21

http://upload-cdn.pixelmator.com/IMG_2372.pxd.zip

Okay here is my pxd file. I was trying to replicate the above problem. The rotation this time did nothing odd. I changed the perspective of the original (image_1) by putting guides on the perspective change - selected the inside of the guides, then inverted the selection (image_2) then deleted the outside info to get image_3. As you can see that is not quite right, THEN I saved the pxd and send it to you to look at. The above version info is still the same. The original image is included. hmm, I tried to drag the original HEIC (from a Finder search result) to this location but failed this time moved the img to the desktop to drag it here and that failed too - using upload site.

http://upload-cdn.pixelmator.com/IMG_2372.HEIC

2020-01-13 16:58:22

Thanks for that — this time, I was able to repro this by undoing certain edits. Did you undo at any point of the process? Or have I stumbled upon something different?

2020-01-14 16:05:29

Sorry, I do not remember for sure; it is quite possible I did an undo during the process. That may be what made me think that removing History might be effective combatting this problem.

2020-01-14 16:54:03

One more thing — I can see you've also applied the Perspective Transform effect before modifying it with a selection. Because the effect is nondestructive, changes made to the layer work as if it was not transformed, i.e. the square you cut out is cut out from the part of the layer that would be in the position if it was not transformed. This is normal (at least for now) and the way this feature is designed to work because some of the effects are infinite (like the tile ones, for example) and make the entire effect modifiable would be, well, close to impossible. Before cutting out the selection, you could choose Format > Effects > Flatten Effects and everything should work the way you'd expect.

2020-01-14 16:58:23

Thanks for the information - I will remember that.