Clone tool seems to ignore Fix Source Position

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2018-10-28 02:46:07

As far as I can tell, Cloning with Fix Source Position checked doesn't "lock" the source pixels. Either checked or not, the source pixels move with the brush/target.

2018-11-05 11:55:05

I might be getting a little confused here about what you're looking for, but Fix Source Position means that, after finishing a brushstroke, the next brushstroke starts from the same, original position — i.e. the source is fixed to one spot. If you turn that option off, the source position moves to align your subsequent brushstrokes, making it easier to clone continuous areas with multiple brushstrokes.

2018-11-05 16:29:41

Yes, that's my understanding of how Fix Source Position is supposed to work. For me, though, with that option selected, the source still moves around with the brush, and does not stay fixed the way the option should work.

2018-11-06 08:53:13

Ah, that's weird then, I just checked this and it does work for me — could you email us at support@pixelmator.com? We'll take it from there.

2018-11-07 00:12:54

How do you turn on (and off) "Fix Source Position" on the clone stamp? It will only let me pick one source and it stays on the original source and I can't pick a new original source.

2018-11-07 10:24:05

Either drag the source indicator or Option-click anywhere in the image to pick a new source. :wink:

2019-11-29 23:39:55

I have the same problem. I have "Fixed Source Position" checked but the position still moves when I move the brush.

How do we fix it?

2019-12-02 15:44:44

Would you maybe be able to share a screen recording of this issue with us? This isn't a known bug but with a screen recording, it would be easier to tell what's going on. Feel free to share it here or you can email it to us at support@pixelmator.com!

2020-02-26 12:29:55

Hi Andrius, I'm having the same problem. "Fixed Source Position" checked but the position still moves when I move the brush. Did you make any progress on this? Is there a work-around solution? Thanks in advance.

Edit: it DOES work as long as I don't hold down the button on my mouse while brushing.

2020-02-26 12:33:49

Just to double-check, does the brush move as you clone or does it move when you're not cloning? Because if it's the first — it should be moving as you clone, though it should jump back to the original position after you've finished a brushstroke. I suspect the name of the option is causing confusion here but, just as before, a screen recording would help me remove all doubt.

2020-02-26 13:12:15

Hi Andrius, I've just edited my comment (without having seen your answer first). It IS working except for when I want to 'paint' with the brush. That means I'd like to fix the position while cloning larger areas without letting go of my mouse button. By the way, thanks for your quick response! Cheers from Amsterdam.

2020-02-26 13:17:11

by AmsterdamNiels 2020-02-26 10:13:12 Hi Andrius, I've just edited my comment (without having seen your answer first). It IS working except for when I want to 'paint' with the brush. That means I'd like to fix the position while cloning larger areas without letting go of my mouse button. By the way, thanks for your quick response! Cheers from Amsterdam.
In that case, you should turn the option off for those cases — that way, each new brushstroke will be aligned with the original source. Have you had a chance to try this?

2023-03-01 13:51:43

I have the same issue, and I'm using a MacBook Pro with a trackpad. I think that it has something to do with that.