Can't draw straight line with shift + click

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2018-08-24 17:28:45

Repro:
1. Open any image
2. Select brush
3. Click somewhere in the image (point A)
4. Holding shift, click somewhere else in the image (point B)
5. Holding shift still, click somewhere else in the image (point C)

Result:
I see a stamp of the brush in point A, and in point B. No lines.

Expected result:
I want to see two lines joining A with B, and B with C, using the brush I had selected.

System Info:
MBP 2018 - 2.6Ghz i7 - 32 Gb
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Pixelmator Pro 1.1.3 Monsoon

Additional info:
I don't know what's going on. It used to work find and I haven't updated Pixelmator Pro.

One relevant thing. I have installed the drivers for Wacom tablets. I got it wrong and installed the newest drivers, but I have an old Wacom Bamboo, so I had to install the old ones as well. I think everything broke when I installed the newest drivers. I have uninstalled both drivers using their Wacom Utility. I have also rebooted. But the problem persists.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Or how can I solve this?

2018-08-24 22:42:31

Weird. I've reinstalled the Wacom Bamboo drivers again and now shift+click works fine again, both with the tablet and with the laptop touchpad. I don't understand it, but I suppose this means it was related to the Wacom drivers? Feel free to close this thread.

2018-08-25 07:22:14

As you say, the solution indicates it was almost certainly a driver issue, but if it does ever resurface and reinstalling the drivers doesn't help, you can email us at support@pxielmator.com about things like this.

2020-05-13 15:16:32

Paint line will not connect from point A to B. It has been working fine since last issue.

2020-05-13 15:18:43

After restarting the program there is no drawing with paint at all!

2020-05-13 15:19:39

Pixel Paint seems fine.

2020-05-13 15:22:47

Now the dots show up when shift is used but no line!

2020-05-14 08:28:12

Hey William, it looks like I'm not able to repro this — is it possible the issue only occurs with particular brushes or brush settings? Could you let me know the brush you're using and could you also take a screenshot of your Paint tool settings?

2020-11-04 17:07:10

Hi I'm getting exactly the same thing.

Catalina 10.15.7
Pixelmator Pro 1.8 Lynx

I've been doing the dot-to-dot with Shift for the past few days - all good. Today, it won't work. dot, Shift, click - no dot. If I keep holding shift there are never dots. If I release shift, a dot appears in the first place I clicked (when it didn't work) and thereafter it is several dots behind. Shift and drag gives me vertical & horizontal as ever.

FWIW - this version is quite buggy (pardon me!): It will often hang on opening a doc or saving; sometimes on quitting. I've had to use Force Quit quite a lot of late.

2020-11-04 17:16:56

Hi David, it would be great if you could email us about this at support@pixelmator.com — we'll do our best to troubleshoot this with you!

2020-11-04 17:55:53

Thanks so much - shall do.

d

2021-03-19 16:51:20

Hi guys,
Did a solution ever surface for this? I have the same issue; shift+click just leaves dots and doesn't connect the line from A to B.

I'm on Version 3.9 Classic (91112.1319).

macOS Catalina v 10.15.7

2021-03-22 11:18:43

by Gosmo Kefree 2021-03-19 14:51:20 Hi guys,
Did a solution ever surface for this? I have the same issue; shift+click just leaves dots and doesn't connect the line from A to B.

I'm on Version 3.9 Classic (91112.1319).

macOS Catalina v 10.15.7
Hi! Is this happening with all the brushes or some specific one you're using? If it's the latter, would you be able to share this brush with us? You can either do it here or send it to us via email at support@pixelmator.com. Thanks!

2021-03-23 22:12:17

by Aurelija
Hi! Is this happening with all the brushes or some specific one you're using? If it's the latter, would you be able to share this brush with us? You can either do it here or send it to us via email at support@pixelmator.com. Thanks!
Apologies, I'm not entirely sure where to find the name of the brush. In the artistic selection, it's the first brush at the top left. Hope that helps!

EDIT: to clarify, no matter which brush I try - I get the same results.

2021-03-25 10:56:04

by Gosmo Kefree 2021-03-23 20:12:17
Apologies, I'm not entirely sure where to find the name of the brush. In the artistic selection, it's the first brush at the top left. Hope that helps!

EDIT: to clarify, no matter which brush I try - I get the same results.
Ah, I believe you're using Pixelmator Classic. In the Brushes palette, could you click the disclosure triangle next to the Diameter input box and check the Speed setting? Image If it's set to more than 0%, bring it back to 0 and try Shift-click drawing again. Let me know if that helps!

2021-03-26 00:57:14

Thanks Aurelija,

I'm afraid it was already at 0%. I tinkered with that, dialling it up and back to zero, but no joy.

What I have noticed is that if I hold shift and draw, it will force straight lines but only at right angles (vertical or horizontal). But I can't get the proper point-to-point lines working.

2021-03-26 12:35:15

Gotcha. Thanks for checking that. Do you happen to have a screencast of this issue or perhaps you could record one, if possible? It would be interesting to take a look at how these lines actually look like. Perhaps it'll give us some clues whether it's a graphical issue of some sort or if it has something to do with the tool settings. You can send us the recording like so. Thanks again!

2022-02-18 21:39:00

Sorry I have not answered. Shift dot to dot is messed up. Very irritating. Color fill leaves white edges next to colors, sloppy but i think that is something that I have to live with?!?! I like the app but the random on again off again problems are awful..

2022-02-22 12:21:07

by William McCullagh 2022-02-18 19:39:00 Sorry I have not answered. Shift dot to dot is messed up. Very irritating. Color fill leaves white edges next to colors, sloppy but i think that is something that I have to live with?!?! I like the app but the random on again off again problems are awful..
We'd love to get to the bottom of the issues, but we still need a little bit more info in order to correctly troubleshoot them. Are you also experiencing them when working with a tablet? A recording of the Pixelmator Pro document window when you're reproducing these issues would also be a big help. Could you share the recording with us at support@pixelmator.com? Thanks!

2023-01-13 14:52:38

Got the same problem, Pixelmator Pro, ......... its annoying as I need this function so much ..........

2023-01-13 15:05:46

Here you can see that. First without shift pressed, then with shift pressed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ck8sx36nuhjc ... 9.mov?dl=0

2023-01-14 11:19:01

Just for info: Started Mac Mini an hour ago, PXMPro started with problems as described here, left the open app in background not touching for may be an hour, .......... tested after half an hour, ...... did not work, ......... now ......... shift click works again like it should.

Same like on MacBook Air. You can also quit the app again, and it will work. But ....... you may not shut down the computer, cause then same problem will be there again.

Working with Macs since 30 years now, ....... never had something like that before. Please fix this soon, .......... find the problem, and fix that. Affinity Photo ...... shift clicking works without any issues. Just as an info.